--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "WillyTex" <willy...@...> wrote:

> Most working people can't stop paying federal income taxes
> - it is automatically withheld by their employer.

Au contraire, Pierre. If they work as <spit> an
employee, there is withholding. If they are good
enough at what they do to work as consultants,
there is none.

*And* if they are weird enough to want to *not*
pay taxes, chances are high that they can get
away with it. On my recent trip back to the US
I ran into several friends who last paid federal
and state income tax in the early 1980s.

Each of them originally stopped because one year
they overspent and didn't have enough money in
April to pay their tax bill, so they just didn't
file. Nothing happened to them. So the next year
they didn't file again. Nothing happened to them.
This started for each of my friends in 1983 and
1984. They have not filed since then, and nothing
bad has happened to them. No one has even noticed.

At this point they have all of their money stashed
in offshore accounts and have "escape plans" to
beat feet out of America if anyone ever *does*
notice. But at this point it's also become somewhat
of a challenge for them -- "How long can we live
and work in the United States of America without
paying *any* taxes except sales tax, and have no
one notice?"