--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:

> TurquoiseB wrote:
> > <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> >
> >> You just think you can evaluate things because you have Google.
> >> You mistake information for context and it makes you feel smart
> >> when you are clueless.
> >
> > Excellent point.
> >
> > Google is like the curtain that the "wizard" hides
> > behind in The Wizard Of Oz. And the person behind
> > the curtain *likes* the curtain and *hates* "Pay
> > no attention to the man behind the curtain" because
> > the curtain hides the fact that there was never ary
> > reason why anyone *should* have paid attention to
> > him in the first place. The only thing he's *ever*
> > done is sit behind a curtain and Google shit. :-)
> >
> > There are whole generations of people now who don't
> > feel that there is any difference between "Live" and
> > "Memorex." When it comes to searching for information
> > to bolster their rants, prejudices, and to help them
> > "win" their petty tyrant battles, Google is *enough*
> > for them to consider themselves an expert, someone
> > who *should* be paid attention to.
>
> Whatever happened to casual conversation?

Or, even more sorely missed, conversation as an art
form, in which the purpose is to entertain and be
entertained.

> We seem to be in an age of "exactitude" where everybody so
> concerned that they may be wrong about something they spend
> time looking stuff up on Google before they post.

I think it's more fundamental than that. A lot of
people *simply don't have anything to say* unless
they can look up something said by someone else
to parrot.

> Imagine if we were trying to have a conversation around a
> table in restaurant or bar this way. Everyone would be
> jumping on their laptop, tablet or smartphone before they
> said a word.

And some would be incapable of saying anything at
all without being able to look up something to say.