--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2010, at 2:33 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> > Ahem. If this were true, wouldn't YOU be using
> > your "epistemic hubris" to claim that something
> > *you know nothing about* is *not* a scam?
>
> Ignorance and deception will always find a breeding ground
> in hidden areas of science. Nowhere are such facts

(Which facts?)

 as easy
> to hide as in obscure branches of science, like neuroscience.
> They're simply too complex for the general public to have
> more than just passing understanding of.

Absolutely correct, far too complex. Which is why I
agreed with Curtis repeatedly on that point, a fact
unknown to either Barry or Vaj, because they haven't
read the exchange.

> While TMers are probably excited about the idea of
> 'witnessing sleep' being 'discovered' as the simultaneous
> presence of theta, alpha and delta wave sleep--most are
> totally unaware that this also happens in just normal,
> non-meditating folks and that it is also an EEG
> signature of people in pain, so as people age, it is more
> likely they will also experience this magical 'witnessing
> deep sleep' EEG pattern.

However, it's *unlikely* that the EEG pattern will be
correlated with subjective reports of witnessing deep
sleep (or in some cases with prearranged eye-movement
signals when they're experiencing it). So it would be
easy to distinguish the experience of pain from the
experience of witnessing.

(I'm giving Vaj the benefit of the doubt that it *is*
the same pattern for the sake of pointing out that
if it were, it would make no difference; the sleep-
witnessing experience would still remain to be
explained--or explained away, as Vaj pretends to have
done, the obvious objection notwithstanding.)

> Of course it goes without saying that long-term TMers
> will also, ipso facto, be older and thus more likely to
> be expressing painful, age-related maladies like
> arthritis, etc. Such "vata diseases" seem common in
> TMers.

LOL! Can you say "grasping at straws"? I knew you could.

> A dome meditator here has claimed
> several times that sleep disturbance is so common among
> long-term TMers that many come to the domes to catch up
> on their sleep!

And of course we must take his claim as gospel (speaking
of, you know, "epistemic humility").

<guffaw>