Perhaps they worry one could be practicing another technique, and result in
destructive interference.  I don't want to say this too loudly lest David OJ
use this as a reason the ME effect has not alwasy worked as advertised.  If he
were to determine that some participants were practicing a diffferent
"program", then he could assign a mathematical value to that, and "voila", you
suddenly have a "means deriritive impacting the statistical model plus or minus
the standard deriviation formula".