I was once married to someone who is bipolar and he has taken meds.  for many
years.The crucial point to me was that the patient needs a really good
psychiatrist who can find the right medicine. There have been great advances in
medicine for depression and I'm sure that many of them do not hurt your
experience. When someone is really managing their illness, they know the signs
of a depression comming on and at that point it is more "crisis management" and
good spiritual experience is not as much the foucs. When in "maintenance mode"
one can reduce medicines and work closely with a good doctor and have good
experience as well as add other alternative practices to help reduce the
occurence of depression. Russ England is a great psychiatrist/governor in
Fairfield. He is up to date on the advancements. I think the problem for many
is the affordability of a really good psychiatrist. Insurance often pays half
the bill and one visit could be $300 or more.
With bipolar illness, a person may seem very enlightened with the high (or is
it manic depression?)... anyway the mania, or good experience makes it appear
that they are very evolved and nothing bothers them. then depression can set it
and this is very contrasting. My X had his first depression in his twenties. I
think the lack of having prior experience of depression can leave one
ill-equipted to know what to do. I was at a total loss the first time I saw him
go into depression. Education is key to knowing what do to.