--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, m2smart4u2000 <no_re...@...> wrote:
<snip>
> With bipolar illness, a person may seem very enlightened with
> the high (or is it manic depression?)...

Same illness, different terms for it.

Great post.

One thing's for sure, if a person is clinically depressed
(whether as one pole of bipolar disorder, or just by
itself), they're not likely to have much in the way of
good spiritual experiences (if they even have the
motivation to do their practice). So they're most likely a
lot better off taking the medication (if it works), even
if it does interfere with spiritual experiences. If the
practice is effective, it should be doing the person some
good even if it feels flat.

> anyway the mania, or good experience makes it appear that
> they are very evolved and nothing bothers them.

One of the big problems with bipolar disorder, in my
understanding, is that the manic phase feels so good the
person may stop taking their medication, thinking they
don't need it any more. And then the mania is likely to go
completely out of control. It's difficult to get the
dosage balanced so it keeps the person in between mania
and depression.

> then depression can set it and this is very contrasting.
> My X had his first depression in his twenties. I think
> the lack of having prior experience of depression can
> leave one ill-equipted to know what to do. I was at a
> total loss the first time I saw him go into depression.
> Education is key to knowing what do to.

Good point. How is your X doing now, do you know?