My X manages his bipolar very well. Because we have kids together and it is
often inherited, we have educated them on the disease. He recently felt the
depression coming on again so he made an urgent appt with his doctor and his
meds were adjusted. His depression improved with the adjustment. With the
advancements in this illness and his good doctor he does pretty well. The
problem again for many is 1. Not having the where-with-all to get to a good
doctor immediately. Had I understood this first time around, I would have
forgotten the stigma of mental illness and got him into a good pschiatric
hospital. 2. the affordability of a PSCHIATRIST. When I hear of someone taking
PROZAC, i squirm. I think it is a generic type medicine. (not sure tho) The
first medicine prescribed to my X, had no affect, then he got onto lithium (21
years ago) and it was like a miracle drug. He could not focus or do any work
due to his depression but after a few days of lithium, he was able to do work.
Being able to focus and do work, at least gave him something to do, other than
think about how terrible he felt. This was the beginning of recovery.