I've rapped before, from similar cafes as this one, about
the various myths surrounding enlightenment (or whatever
you choose to call it), and how those who claim enlightenment
(or whatever they call it) often do not seem to walk the walk
of that mythic talk. One of those myths is that they are by
definition incapable of speaking anything that is not Truth.
I've also rapped in the past about how those who expect to
be listened to and revered as if everything they say is
Truth react to someone treating them as Just Another Guy.

Today what I'm pondering is not so much what they do when
their holy authority is challenged, but WHY they would want
to be perceived as authoritative in the first place.

That one just whizzes right over my head. I don't get it.

I have a few friends who have gone into the guru business.
Based on the few conversations we have had in recent years,
they seem to want me to interact with them as if they are
gurus, and with proper deference to their wisdom and presumed
authority. Suffice it to say we don't talk much. If we did,
I suspect that they'd say that the things they say as if
they were Truth *are* Truth, and would be obvious *as* Truth
to me if I just treated them as the selfless spokespersons
for Truth they are.

The first time this happened, I couldn't help remembering
the night that the speaker, back before he went all guru and
all, got all blissed up and confided in me that his deepest
longing and need in life was to be adored. Not loved. Adored.
Worshipped. In the context of that conversation, by a woman
so in love with him that she could not even conceive of him
having faults. Now he's a guru. You do the math.

I still love these people as friends, but I'm just not wired
to relate to them as gurus or as authorities, only as friends.
Friends have faults. They're wrong about shit from time to
time. That's what I expect of my current friends, and that
is what they expect of me. I rarely disappoint them.  :-)

So I just don't get it. Can someone who feels not only
that the guru or teacher is some kind of authority and that
they should be related to as such please explain it to me?
Based on the things written here, there are quite a few
folks on this forum who believe this. I'm asking you to
explain WHY, to someone who clearly doesn't get it.