First of all spiritual realities are best proved by direct personal experience,
but those are rarely things that can justified or proven to others, short of
inducing the direct experience in others, so all one can do is lay it on the
table if they wish, and leave it at that.  I will approach your question from
that angle later.

As far as ties to the ideas of Castaneda I plead guilty.  The concepts of
Castaneda brought me to TM in the mid 70's as a method to "shut of internal
dialog", as he would say.  As most people in spiritual circles know Castaneda
was supposedly "debunked" by DeMille, but DeMille's work was rather flawed in
that he had a bone to pick from the start and did not really "disprove" much
anyhow.

ref -
http://www.artforthemasses.us/castacon/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1653&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15
(I post there as Henry Morgan)

In Tenancingo I have found through elders and people who have never read
Castaneda, that many of the stories and beliefs which he writes about are
indeed backed up by local legends and beliefs.  That got me to start posting on
The Twilight Zone a few years ago. That got me involved in a small group of
persons who are possibly more actively involved in finding out the real and as
yet almost unknown history of Castaneda, and trying to separate fact from
fiction in his works, which might never be really possible, but I am getting a
pretty good gut feeling about the lay of things, based more on facts than just
the emotions that the pro-Castaneda and anti-Castaneda camps go on.

The story of Castaneda and his teachings is most surely a complex and
interesting mix of his own insightful ideas, and straight fact as he writes
it.  His opening up to the public in the 90’s and forming a cult group, in my
opinion, muddied his situation with the public.

My role up to now has been of translating dozens of things written about
Castaneda and his group in Spanish and never translated to English, and
visiting key people who knew Castaneda personally in Mexico.

Some of the more interesting sources are the family and friends of Castaneda in
Peru.  Traveler did the original trips to Peru, one just a few months ago, and
shared original tapes with me because my Spanish is better than his.  We have
come to different conclusions, mine siding with what I believe “Sho” Velez
(written about in The Active Side of Infinity) was saying, that the stories are
true, but that Carlos switch names and characters around.  Traveler seems more
to want to say that Carlos was a creative seer, and made it all up, but that,
even if it is true, does not say enough in my opinion.  There was a rich
history of sorcerery in the family of Carlos in Peru.

A respected Nahuat elder near Teotehuacan who knew CC personally in the 1960s
Mexico, along with DJ, who is the father of his son-in-law, who explained how
of course he knew DJ, and CC who tagged along with him, and he knew DG too at
times with CC, but that DG never knew DJ to his knowledge.  The elder,
Tlakaelel, says that at first it was DJ teaching CC, but as time went on it was
CC who proved to be the true seer teaching DJ, and he has great respect for
Castaneda, as a great original seer.  Note that the story as presented by CC
could still be correct, if DJ and DG were the great “stalkers” purported, in
not letting Tlakaelel know that they knew each other.

I know a certain Brazilian who was part of CC’s inner circle in Mexicoin the
90’s.  He has shown me dozens of locations written about in the books by CC,
which Carlos brought him to personally in Mexico City, and TulaHidalgo.  In
some of his books he is very descriptive about all sorts of odd details about
these locations, and after long and careful study the places fit to a tee, and
I can’t find anything substantial to argue there.  We could still say that
Carlos made it all up, but based the fiction on true locations.

A third interesting line of evidence is a book written by a close friend of CC
in the 1950’s (before don Juan), Byron de Ford, when they lived in southern
California.  This works paints a picture of a Castaneda with the ideas that he
presents in later works, already rather well formed, and with one of the most
eclectic circle of connections from all parts of the spiritual and spiritualist
community.
http://jovencarlos.blogspot.com/2007/03/1.html

As far as my ideas about all human emotion being based on an unquestionable
infinite loneliness and sadness, it is something which I have experienced
personally and have been able to analyze in great detail, but it is not
anything that I know how to justify to others who haven’t experienced it as
directly as I have.

As far as the shadow creatures, I first started to notice them and their
motives in early childhood.  Carlos did not write about them until the very end
of the last book that he really wrote himself, The Active Side of Infinity, a
curious fact in my opinion, and his description fit my experiences exactly, so
that was significant to me.

I have also experienced other “inorganic” forces like he describes up close and
big time, stories in themselves.  But they are all just stories until you
experience them.

Meditation, and for me TM, is an essential step to any of it, since it leads to
silencing the mind, providing a base point to distinguish self from non-self.
(true also that everything is self, but that point of view does not help with
discernment)