Been around the world.  Seventeen countries. A total of six months in Asia via
three trips. Year in Europe.  Lived for a year or more in California,
Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, New York, Georgia, Florida and traveled in 40 states
of America..... and I was watching my pennies the whole time, so it's not like
I was high-hatting it as an ugly American abroad or living the posh life here.
Walked and walked and walked the local neighborhoods and markets everywhere.
Learned a couple hundred words in each of many languages, lived in folks'
homes, ate their food, worshiped with them in Buddhist temples and in the
churches of Europe, and I've closed my eyes to meditate in public in diners and
bus stations and on park benches and even in a tent next to a lake a mile from
Maharishi in Seelisberg while surrounded by a herd of cows who seemed to like
what I was, um, not-doing.

I don't have an especial tee shirt for all the above, but one thing I did get
out of it was that America is THE PLACE for personal freedoms of the sort that
is missing in virtually every country.

While in Spain, I authored and published a small book and I had to get
permission (forms filled out and stamps purchased and samples given to some
"decider" from the government) to authorize my printer to do the job for me.  I
dared not criticize Spain, see?

In Taiwan, I saw the cops beating up the vendors and soldiers on guard every
mile of every major highway.

In Indonesia I traveled along a road for miles and miles with hundreds of
thousands of people living on the roadsides in huts next to a canal that was
both toilet and drinking water.  I saw families living their whole lives on a
patch of sidewalk where they "owned" about six parking spots and would watch
your car for you while you parked it there -- for fifteen cents a day.  There's
dirt roads in downtown Jakarta.  I saw grown men hunched over fencing wires all
in a heap -- pounding the wires straight so that they could be resold.  I saw
ten year old girls selling flowers in the middle of traffic.  Barbershops are
places where you get a hand job in Asia, and every wife is expected to accept
this.

And on and on I can list the tragedies and twisted allowances of each culture
that are seen, yes, in America too.  It's a wash -- they've got their shit and
we've got ours.  We've got red-necks and they've got fundamentalists.  We've
got every sort of preacher on any stump, and they've got state religions,
political philosophies backed up by guns, warlords and kings and corrupt to the
core businesspersons.  No stone can be thrown by anyone at any country.

To me, being an American has been a life long intent of dwelling upon and
recognizing the deeper dynamics of humanity, the common ground we share with
virtually anyone anywhere, and my profit is that I feel like a true world
citizen and only see my "fellow citizens" no matter the language, beliefs or
local mores.  I have loved so many with whom I only had but a few words of
their language in which to express my feelings.

After all my trips, coming home to America was bittersweet knowing of our
crappola, but it was coming HOME.  It wasn't about seeing family again, it was
about putting a single foot on this soil from which I'd sprung.

I love America for that which it stands, and I cry when so many fall so short
of this mindset that the whole world wants for itself too -- freedom here is
sweeter than any other freedom of other cultures -- I'm hardwired to assert
this, yes, but intuitively, it seems true.

And, if the world crumbles and all the paranoia turns out to have been 20/20,
we can be sure that America will be blamed and that the unwashed everywhere
will take it out on whatever American they can get their hands on.  If an
Israeli bulldozer can slowly grind a young woman into the mud, it's not a
stretch to imagine Barry being targeted by the local crazies when 80% of the
world is eating grass, shoe leather, and Soylent Green.  Have fun OVER THERE
Barry -- it may not last much longer.

As for my imaginary friend, God, I am on record here espousing the impersonal
God, the Absolute, as an infinitely subtle structure of existence that
saturates by a spiritual hegemony every dynamic of consciousness and that it
MIGHT be possible that one or more religions have the skinny on how to purify
one's resonance with that ground-state's axioms and that doing such brings ease
to living.

Show of hands . . . anyone here envious of Barry's ex-pat life?  Anyone here
think his job security is firm?  Anyone here think he's not going to high-tail
it HOME when push comes to shove?

Edg