This was in Taiwan in 1995ish.  Saw cops drag a vendor's wheeled cart out of a
vendor's informal market in an alley -- presumably because the vendor hadn't
paid some bribe to be there.  They violently threw the cart such that all the
food stuffs etc. we strewn into the middle of a high traffic street and the
vendor flung HARD on his ass being yelled at by the cops to leave.  No arrest
-- just a normal bonking.  The soldiers were posted every mile on the major
end-to-end-of-Taiwan highway that could be used for a landing by an airplane
full of Red Army invaders.  Any official buidling had soldiers posted outside.
Don't know if any of this still is happening there.

In Indonesia, I had to have an Army General's approval to negotiate with a
factory owner to produce a product....and that was the norm there.

Last time I was in Spain, I had more than one encounter with what can only be
called "rape entitlement" -- meaning, if a woman's not escorted she can be hit
on with any arbitrary amount of urgency, and even if she's "attended," they'll
hit on her.  I've never seen such strutting roosters enflamed with empowerment
as I saw in Spain....though a few guys in Italy tried hard enough to match it.
Barry seems well placed actually, heh, irony, eh?

I'll take Cleveland over Spain for raising a family.

Not that everywhere doesn't have the most precious souls that melt your heart
instantly, but even then I tarry.  I made friends with a Iranian family once.
Man they had a good vibe.  Our kids played with their kids, so they invited us
over for dinner and chat -- and I ended up having to fend them  off from trying
to get us to smoke opium and wife-swap -- ya just never know.

Edg