From: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com [mailto:fairfieldl...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of authfriend
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2010 9:01 AM
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Robes of Silk, Feet of Clay/Judith Bourque

 You're suggesting the need to keep the affairs secret
was sort of extrapolated into a culture of secrecy?
Was there less secrecy before the affairs started?

There was. MMY and TMO policies grew increasing paranoid and secretive over
the years.

(We don't really know when they started, do we?)

No. They were going on when the Beatles were in Rishikesh (early '68), but
who knows when they started.

> I wonder if Jerry, Bevan, Neil Paterson, and others knew?
> I'm quite sure MMY never volunteered the information, but
> I may be wrong. He may have had a few trusted confidants.

I can't believe they didn't all knew. They couldn't possibly
have avoided hearing the rumors, and one or another of
them surely must have investigated further, if only in an
attempt to squash the rumors--and they wouldn't have been
able to do that. They'd just have encountered more and
more reports from credible people the longer they looked
into it.

They may have chosen not to look. I heard the rumors from the time I was a
new meditator ('68) but I dismissed them as preposterous for 30+ years,
because they were so at odds with my perception of MMY. I remember one time
in 1974 or 75, I was waiting outside MMY's door for a long time while he was
in there with a very pretty woman from S. Africa named Vicky. When she came
out, her face was flushed and the thought crossed my mind that she looked
like she had been sexually aroused, but it was a fleeting thought which I
didn't  take too seriously.

Everything around MMY was on a need to know basis. Neil Paterson once joked
to me that he couldn't even tell me what kind of toothpaste he used. MMY
only allowed people to get really close to him if they were really good at
keeping secrets. Apparently about half of MMY's personal secretaries during
this period had no clue this was going on, while the other half picked up on
it. Perhaps even some of them were told by the others.

> For instance, the passage in the book where Tat Wala Baba
> was massaging MMY's feet the day after his "first time"
> with Judith made it sound as though MMY had told him.

Wouldn't you have loved to be a fly on the wall for
*that* conversation!

You would have to have been a Hindi-speaking fly.