<snip>
> That is, the fallout of Maharishi's famous "Every ques-
> tion is a perfect opportunity for the answer we have
> already prepared." THAT was -- and still is -- the TM
> mindset. You ask questions, we give you the "pat answer"
> we have already prepared, and you STFU (Shut The Fuck Up).

FWIW, that was never my experience, to the contrary.

> Unlike other spiritual traditions I've been exposed to
> there is generally no tolerance in the TMO for a seeker
> *challenging* the pat answer. To do so, in fact, risks
> ridicule or, if you *keep* challenging it after having
> been told to STFU a couple of times, excommunication.
> The pat answer is Truth. You are expected to *accept*
> the Truth.

Nor this.

> The problem with this, as I see it, is that NO pat
> answer in the history of answers has ever been Truth.
> At best, it's a partial, relative truth, "true" only
> from one point of view and one state of consciousness.
> Shift points of view, shift states of consciousness,
> and even the pat answers become untrue, or at best
> only partially true.

This was my point to blusc0ut about how when you take
MMY's teachings right down to the nitty-gritty, they
end up in contradiction or paradox or infinite regress.
No authentic verbal teaching about Unity could be
otherwise.

> My experience on the spiritual path has left me feel-
> ing that this "pat answer" approach is a Really
> Dumb Idea. It not only creates in those who accept
> the pat answers as Truth a false belief that they
> "know the Truth," it also creates in them (IMO) a
> reluctance to question further, and often an angry,
> attached overreaction to those who suggest that in
> their own interest they may want to examine these
> pat answers in more detail to see how "true" they
> really were, or are.

In some cases the annoyance is triggered by the
assumption you just made--that you always make--
that one *hasn't* examined the pat answers.

> Pat Answer Syndrome explains a LOT of the behavior
> we see on FFL

One might even suggest that the assumption you've
made is an instance of Pat Answer Syndrome:

They don't agree with me? Must be because they've
never questioned what they believe.

The uncomfortable fact is that those who question
something in detail--especially something as
abstract and complicated (and ultimately utterly
simple) as development of consciousness--do not
inevitably end up agreeing with each other.