On 02/05/2011 01:06 PM, Tom Pall wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Bhairitu<noozg...@sbcglobal.net>  wrote:
>
>> Tom, over the years I have complained about the post hijacking and got
>> rebuffed. To me it was like people were just too lazy to start a new
>> topic.  Or maybe they were afraid it would the new topic would get
>> ignored.  Some even admitted that they didn't know the different ways on
>> the web version to change views (or even start a new topic).  Some just
>> liked the dynamic of reading the posts in date order (the default
>> setting).   I get FFL as email and with Thunderbird where there are even
>> more aways to read and include a filter for my handle so I know who is
>> responding to me possibly even in another post.
>>

>> The Yahoo.com interface to FFL is confusing as heck.  It's not at all easy
> to change the subject.  It's just as bad with Gmail, as you have to go find
> the Edit Subject link.  Gmail doesn't show the subject while responding.
> But we're not talking about ordinary humans here.  We're talking about
> people in B.C. (The comic strip?).   I kind of assumed such people could
> just think their posts.  Autobiography of a Yogi tells of people who, in a
> lesser state of consciousness, could make themselves not appear when
> photographed, make themselves appear on film by just thinking of the
> camera.  I know. I'll tell tell our wayward Jersey Shore editor that our
> Secretary (Secretary sounds sexist to me.  Why not Bossperson?) of State
> gave a speech condemning thread hijacking.   Though I don't and can't
> provide a bibliography for her, she'll<gafaw>  people into proper neticate
> while using Yahoo to prove me wrong.  With a bibliography.
>
> It is very easy for people using Yahoo.com to just use this sort of like
> IM.  In fact as I recall, Dr. Pete and others, before the 50 post limit
> seemed to use FFL as that.   If our spiritual guide and resident Zen and
> Buddhist master can move from Spain to a place where people have
> unpronounceable O's,  people can learn what thread hijacking is.   I got it!
>    There's a biblical admonition I can reference I can cite, yes?

In email clients thread hijacking occurs if you open a post and then
decide to just change the subject thinking it is going to start a new
topic.  With some egroups that used to work.  Yahoo, if you look at the
header, maintains the message number so instead of it being a new thread
just continues on the old one.  On other groups people would get blasted
for thread hijacking.  Another reason people with email clients would
tend to hijack is because they had several email addresses and couldn't
remember which one to use for that group so hijacking the thread solved
that problem.  Sometimes when I start a new topic I will forget to set
the From to the Bhairtu email and Yahoo dutifully sends it back where
upon I select "Edit as New" and resend with the correct address.