--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> Among other things, it was explained to you that the
> topic of a thread rarely changes within the space of
> one post--it tends to drift gradually over a number
> of posts. That isn't "hijacking," that's just what
> happens in normal conversation.
>
> I almost never see anybody here actually hijacking a
> thread. Rory didn't hijack this one; it had drifted
> a long way from the original many posts ago, with lots
> of people participating, *including you*, Bhairitu.

* * * Thanks, Judy; I rather thought not, but wasn't moved to go back to
investigate it. It's certainly something I *could* have done, as I've
habitually left subject headings alone. Either way I am glad for the nudge from
Tom and Bhairitu, and am keeping an eye on it now.

> When the topic has drifted sufficiently, it's easy
> enough to change the subject heading in the response,
> and folks should do that more often.
>
> But that won't disconnect the new subject from the
> old thread. Nor should it, because then it's
> impossible to follow the thread back if one wants to
> see how the conversation developed.

* * * That's also good to know; thanks!