> > Why do you suppose the Buddha and the Zen Masters
> > like Dogen continued to meditate years after they
> > supposedly attained enlightenment?

Vaj:
> I assumed they weren't merely meditating Willy...

All enlightened masters meditate, Vajji. That's what
enlightened masters do.

Since we are all already enlightened at birth, all we
need to do is sit down and think things over - meditate.

Thoughts will fall away naturally, once striving has
been abandoned, then your essential nature will shine
forth without any effort at all.

"... you must suspend your attempts to understand by
means of scrutinizing words, reverse the activity of
the mind which seeks externally, and illuminate your
own true nature" (page 96).

Read more:

'How to Raise an Ox'
Zen Practice as Taught in Zen Master Dogen's Shobogenzo
by Francis D Cook, Ph.D.
Forward by Taizan Maezumi Roshi
Wisdom Publications, 2002