--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "whynotnow7" <whynotnow7@...> wrote:

> Yeah, agreed. Karma is a feeling or an intuitive thing that
> seems to work well as a personal teaching mechanism for me,
> but I find it impossible to apply to the actions of someone
> else, except as a kind of slang - for example, if someone
> is really speeding on the freeway, and later I see him get
> pulled over by a cop, I might think, "bad karma dude". :-)

Or it could have been *good* karma, in that he got stopped
by the cop before he had a terrible accident.

That's why applying the karmic equation to myself or
anyone else seems absurd to me. You can always dream up a
scenario in which what appears to be bad karma is actually
good karma and vice-versa.

Even with the worst possible suffering, there's the
possibility that it was *chosen* between lives as a way of
expiating many lifetimes of accumulated bad karma--not
necessarily any worse or more than anyone else's--very
quickly, rather than taking it a bit at a time from one
life to another.

And since we have no way of knowing the Big Picture,
there's zero basis for making *any* assumptions, much less
for allowing any of them to affect how we respond to any
given instance of suffering (individual or mass). Karma
cannot be any more than abstract theory, like the free will/determinism issue.