--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <babajii_99@...> wrote:

> I am not inventing a God that hates Japan...
> It's just that some of us, like to have a reason,
> Why things happen as they do..

And this tendency in human beings to want "pat
answers" to unanswerable questions has been the
basis of centuries of war, suffering, and intol-
erance. From the Crusades to the attempted
extermination of the Jews, from slavery to
the right to vote being denied to women and
minorities, ALL of it is due to people settling
for "pat answers" about *why* this is happening,
or "should" happen.

It seems to me that it would be a far better
world if people just got comfortable with the
fact that they'll NEVER "know" why things happen,
and stopped glomming onto the first charlatan
who gives them a made-up "pat answer."

>From astrologers to prophets, charlatans are
always waiting in the wings to give people the
"pat answers" they want, so that they can relax
and feel that they "know" the answers, and thus
can predict to some extent the future. From my
side, I just can't understand anyone, anywhere
being so upset about *not* knowing the future
that they'd buy into the charlatanry. It just
does not compute for me. The future is as
uncertain as the present, with no "why" in
sight. BFD. That makes life more interesting,
not more threatening.

It seems to me that if humans want a three-
letter word starting with 'W' to build their
lives around, "Wow" would be a better choice
than "Why." There has never been an answer to
the latter, at any moment in history, and as
far as I can tell there never will be. But
there are opportunities for the former in
every instant.