> Walking this morning along a picturesque lake in Holland,
> I found myself remembering similar walks along a similar
> lake in Pound Ridge, NY. I lived on this lake for a couple
> of years, in the guest house of a $million+ house. There
> were, in fact, only five such houses around the lake, all
> of them worth well over a million bucks each.
>
> What I found myself remembering was walking along that
> lake with one of my neighbors, a multi-millionaire. One
> day I asked -- possibly insensitively, as is my wont --
> how he *made* these millions of dollars. He laughed,
> not the least bit offended, and then said, "Economic
> psychology."
>
> Then he explained. He had made most of his money in the
> stock market. But he had never made a penny by investing
> in stocks, expecting them to go up in price. Instead, he
> had noticed that he had a kind of "disasterdar" or, as
> he put it "a brain that had a kind of built-in chaos
> theory math engine" that allowed him to see when a stock
> was about to undergo a drastic downturn, with its stock
> price dropping drastically. He made his money by "short
> selling" these stocks.
>
> Naturally, being...uh...not rich myself, I asked him how
> he figured this out. He said that it was simple: "I make
> my money from investors' egos, and the reluctance of
> those egos to admit they've made a mistake. Something
> happens and is reported in the papers about a certain
> stock, and that something seems likely to undermine the
> investors' confidence in that stock. But then a funny
> thing happens. They don't sell immediately, the way you'd
> expect. Instead, they *hold on* to their stock, hoping
> that it will go up or remain at the same price instead
> of tanking. What I'm good at is figuring out how *long*
> it will take these investors to realize that their
> investment is a bad one and sell it off."

Wiki: "In finance, short selling (also known as shorting or going short) is the
practice of selling assets, usually securities, that have been borrowed from a
third party (usually a broker) with the intention of buying identical assets
back at a later date to return to the lender. It is a form of reverse trading.
Mathematically, it is equivalent to buying a "negative" amount of the assets.
The short seller hopes to profit from a decline in the price of the assets
between the sale and the repurchase, as the seller will pay less to buy the
assets than the seller received on selling them. Conversely, the short seller
will incur a loss if the price of the assets rises. Other costs of shorting may
include a fee for borrowing the assets and payment of any dividends paid on the
borrowed assets. "Shorting" and "going short" also refer to entering into any
derivative or other contract under which the investor profits from a fall in
the value of an asset.
Going short can be contrasted with the more conventional practice of "going
long", whereby an investor profits from any increase in the price of the asset."