I get it - thanks for writing more about it. No more what I call ego
maintenance thoughts. I see the distinction as one of non-attachment, to
anything. This state of mind can't be consciously cultivated, but occurs
naturally as a result of sadhana. If non-attachment is here, then as you say,
life is appreciated moment by moment in a fresh way.

Many folks in waking state try to approximate this freshness by moving around
constantly or exposing themselves to new objective and subjective material
experiences (why travel and roller coasters and drugs, for example, are so
popular). Once it settles in though, non-attachment becomes almost funny in
that the thoughts and experiences turn to teflon vs. glue. Day to day
experience brings a newness and freshness to it ongoing that gross material
changes cannot come close to. Simply we become truly ourselves and begin
consistently enjoying the hell out of life.
(48)