If you are trying to assert the so-called seven types of turya from
Abhinavagupta's Trika then it still gets no sikara – especially
a kuban one. It's still a different tradition and a different way to
slice the pie. It's like saying that Buddhist bhumi-s show a deeper
degree of "enlightenment" since there are ten of them and only
seven in Patanjali or Vedanta.

It's an illegitimate mode of criticism.

If you mean the two versions of the Sapta-jñana-bhumi of the
Yogavaasishta or of the Jiivanmuktiviveka of Vidyaranya then you are
merely using the classification typology of one interpretation to
devalue another.

Still illegitimate.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@...> wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2011, at 6:38 PM, emptybill wrote:
>
> > You're wasting my time with such b.s. No citations or reasoned
argument ... nothing but polemic.

> I'm sorry I can't waste my time or such "reasoned" eye-brow knitten
emails. It's just not where I'm at.

> You either "get" what I'm talking about, or you don't. I'm really not
going to waste my time on which.

> Mahesh's assumedly experiential description is your fave as a criteria
for CC (as it is in many pro-TM cheerleaders). I'm stating emphatically
and on my own experience that that's not CC, but merely the classical
experience of turiya (the transcendent) as it normally occurs during
it's infusion into the waking state constructs.

> I realize that this is not an airy-fairy description to many's liking,
but really -- I could care less.

> The important thing is that I've not described, anywhere, the further
description (after the infusion of turiya into waking states), of CC
(turiyatita).

> Not one person has countermanded that lack, nor have they described
the actual transition to CC, as it's classically experienced.

> Hint: the reason I haven't mentioned it is to see if anyone can.
>
> And to just wait.
>
> I'm a patient kinda guy. I'm actually much happier to simply wait.
>
> I've already been sitting here, many years, and no one's even bothered
to offer me so much as a drink.

> > There is nothing you have to say that is not merely unsupported
personal opinion - sheer gossip. This fits in quite well with one
interpretation of Dzogchen – everything is my rolpa/personal display
- just forms of "me". You probably consider this to be advaya but in the
Western tradition we call this solipsism.

> Sheesh, I'm not sure what to say. I never gave it that much thunk.
>
> > You must have never read Parmenides, Plato, Plotinus or Proclus or
their point about doxa. Same for Gaudapada, Shankara, Madhusuudhana. Oh,
but I forget. You are originally enlightened. Unlike willy,  you don't
need  no wiki.

> I was initiated into Gaudapada's practices when I was a kid. Honestly,
I found the yogis of Tibet much better, more nuanced and more
experientially relevant (for me). They had the goods in just who they
were...and they could teach that to me.

> > You must love the neo-advaitin, Svamit Vivekananda.
> >

> I'm not a fan, although I did read him with great interest, many years
ago, right before I lost my interest in Protestant post-colonial
Hinduism.
> > He followed Vidyaaranya too. I hope you somehow achieve mano-nasa to
put an end to your mind. It must be a burden. Hopefully it won't be just
temporary.