--Yes, it is strange how many different angles the ego must have to
continue it's existence; we are naturally afraid of death; I see
this in my father, who survived three and a half years surviving
World War II, in Eastern Europe; (we've had many ego clashed over
the years). As he is grappling with his mortality now, he really
can't deal with the notion of death, or loss of ego;
Strange thing is: recently I had a conversation with him, at a time
when I was having clear witnessing, and I could feel how threatened
his ego was in our conversation, and how our relationship over the
years, has been mostly a clash of egos.
This conversation, reminded me of how limited our view of ourselves
is, identified by so many influences through our lives, that are so
limiting, that, one seems to have to get to the point where one
becomes so frustrated by the egos concerns and limitations, that we
finally "give up" and "surrender", and in that "ego death",
Enlightenment occurs.
Eckhart Tolle talks about this experience: right before
Enlightenment dawned,for him,  he was suicidal, and completely
overshadowed by the his mind and ego's concerns.
In that moment of insanity, he recognized the witness, and somehow
completed the experience, then and there.
(Also, he seems to be in an intimate relationship now, so, I don't
think enlightenment is the end of sex).
Anyway, whoever, or whatever, we think we are, has to be given up;
I've had some experience in 12 step groups, and that also, is an ego
breaking experience; in that the first three steps concern breaking
down the ego, and "Surrendering to a Higher Power".
So, there appears to be many ways to get to Enlightenment.
But the main ingredient seems to be the end of the road for the ego.
And one has to have prepared themselves in many ways, known and
unknown, to be motivated to release what feels like one's own self.

- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>