--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray1" <steve.sundur@> wrote:
> >
> > I am not sure if this applies or not.  But I tend to eshew things like
> > beautiful sunsets, or "beautiful" days.  Or at least I don't get emotional
> > about them. They are what they are.  I neither delight in them, nor ignore
> > them.  But my bias is to not give them much attention.
> >
> > Kind of like the weather.  You hear all the time about how "nasty" the
> > weather is, or how "gorgeous" of a day it is.  I don't care to make any
> > judgements about the weather.  It also is what it is. I'll take it either
> > way.
> >
> > I don't know what Pantanjali might be referring to when he says all
> > experience is pain, (or something to that effect). >
>
> This is from Bhoja's comment on that suutra (II 15):
>
> vivekinaH parij~nAtakleshAdivivekasya *bhogasAdhanaM saviShaM
> svAdvannam iva duHkham eva* pratikUlavedanIyamevetyarthaH .
>
> Bhoja's Sanskrit is somewhat more "tricky" than, say,
> Vyaasa's. My attempt at a "rough" translation of
>
> bhogasAdhanaM saviShaM svAdvannam iva duHkham eva
>
> ...would be something like this (ITRANS'ish transliteation):
>
> (To a vivekin, all) experience [dunno how to translate 'saadhana'
> in 'bhoga-saadhana'] is painful like (iva) sweet food (svaadvannam < svaadu +
> annam) containing poison (sa-viSam: "with-poison").

Continues like this (in "Sanskrit Documents",
Transliterated & transcribed from a manuscript by : Dr. Suryanshu Ray

            suryansu...@yahoo.com
% Proofread by    Dr. Suryanshu Ray ):

yasmAdatyantAbhijAto yogI duHkhaleshenApyudvijate.

(yasmaat; atyanta-abhijaataH; yogii duHkha-leshena; api;
udvijate)

That seems to mean something like:

That's why (yasmaat) an/the excessively (atyanta[1]) aware (abhijaataH[2]) yogi
is afflicted (udvijate[3]) even (api)
by a very small[4] amount of duHkha.

1. atyanta      mfn. beyond the proper end or limit ; excessive , very great ,
very strong ; endless , unbroken , perpetual ; absolute , perfect ;...

2. perfect participle from
abhijJA %{-jAnAti} , %{-nIte} , to recognize , perceive , know , be or become
aware of ; to acknowledge , agree to , own ; to remember (either with the fut ,
p. or with %{yad} and impf.) Pa1n2. 2-2 , 112 seqq. Bhat2t2....

3. udvij        A1. %{-vijate} (raely %{-vejate} in MBh.) P. %{-vijati}
(rarely) , to gush or spring upwards AV. iv , 15 , 3 ; to be agitated , grieved
or afflicted ; to shudder , tremble , start ; to fear , be afraid of (with gen.
abl. or instr.) MBh. BhP. Pan5cat. &c. ; to shrink from , recede , leave off
S3atr. Bhat2t2. ; to frighten MBh. ii , ...

4. leza m. a small part or portion , particle , atom , little bit or slight
trace of (gen. or comp. ; %{-tas} and %***{[lesh]ena - what'
in brackets, added by card} , Ind. = very slightly or briefly*** ;
%{les3a-s3as} , in small pieces R.) ...