--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Tom Pall <thomas.pall@...> wrote:

> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Ravi Yogi <raviyogi@...> wrote:
>

> > I do enjoy your constant projections of peace, happiness and love on to
> > others, I'm sure you make your heroes Gandhi, MLK and the Dalai Lama proud
> > of you !!! Keep it up !!!

I believe Mr. Yogi was being sarcastic. I was the one lauding non-violent
efforts to end a century of Jim Crow and apartheid, and enabling citizens to
exercise the rights of citizenship and actually vote. As well as the courage of
the Freedom Riders (which MLK was actually resisting) to venture into a deeply
racist, violent and inhumane culture and assist in and catalyze its
transformation.

> You're kidding, right?   Been to the Southern US lately?

> MLK had a dream.  It was a noble dream.  But social engineering doesn't work
> as well as civil or mechanical engineering.

Non-violent efforts to end a century of Jim Crow and apartheid, and enabling
citizens to exercise the rights of citizenship and actually vote is not social
engineering.

I am not a huge fan of some (or a lot of) social engineering efforts. I am a
huge fan of large and sustained investments in merit-based education at all
levels as a foundational solution to many social ills. (And both civil
liberties and strong and extensive education I suggest provide a strong
foundation for methods of inner transformation to seed, root and flourish.)

(And we are far from having such a strong educational system. My hopes lay in
distributed, highly scalable digital educational initiatives as a means of
providing massive and extension education to anyone who has the will to pursue
it, at very low costs. Such a system will not be constrained by x classroom
seats or university slots.)