Thanks for this - I enjoy astrology as an interesting perspective on each of
us, though I have not had my chart done, either Western or Eastern. Oddly,
about twenty years ago, at the time I was somewhat interested in the idea of
jyotish as a tool for finding answers to my life, I knew a TM teacher who
complained that she should be married by now, according to her chart. I pretty
much decided then that my continued path of homegrown intuition was a better
(and less expensive) choice. I too agree with confirmation bias playing a
strong role in our interpretation of astrology - I can read almost anything
about planetary influences and find some of it applies to me.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tartbrain <no_reply@...> wrote:

> In jyotish I am Pisces, In western I am Aries. Nothing much really going on
> in Gemini in either.
>
> I do have a debilitated and combust Mercury in First, conjunct rahu and sun
> (though some have said the debilitation is actually a yoga because of this or
> that, which flips the debilitation and makes Mercury stronger).  And its in
> house of Jupiter, ascendant which makes it stronger.
>
> And some say Mercury has that quality of seeing things from multiple angles.
>
> IF (IF!) there is anything to jyotish -- I view it as a map of karma, if
> anything -- it probably makes me a bit quirky (gee, have you noticed, ha). My
> bundle of prarabdha karma is what it is. A fun life trip as it unwinds.
>
> Here is some stuff on Jyotish Mercury. I am sure the Confirmation Bias
>  Challenged among us (raise your hands, "see almost everyone") will have a
> heyday in confirming what they see in me (debilititated vs "in yoga"
> Mercury).
>
> And Confirmation Bias is fascinating. I have noticed some will pull out the
> most vague or insignificant point in a large post and jump up and down
> excitedly "See! See! I told you so. This person is JUST like I said he/she
> was." One out of 100 points is all they see. And highly prevalent in world.
> It can make the work place fascinating.
>
> ---------------
>
> "According to Jyotish Shastaras, the planet Mercury is very disciplined and
> intelligent. Usually, Mercury behaves in a very mature manner. Many a times,
> it behaves like a very rational entity. Mercury by nature is artistic. It's
> nature is very receptive, and in most of the cases, cordial. Another
> interesting part is that it can be humorous, nervous, kind hearted and
> rational. Apart from that, Mercury is really an extrovert (vocal). By
> personality, Mercury is receptive and sociable. Not only it is analytical,
> but also professional in nature. It has a multi-faceted personality. Thus,
> this can easily adapt in any situation whatsoever."
>
> When Mercury is Strong & Positive
> On can find a great influence of Budha (Mercury) on the native. Under the
> good influence of Mercury, the person becomes highly intelligent, and able to
> discharge any given assignment on the fixed time. Under the influence of
> Budha a person becomes punctual in approach, and ever attentive.
>
> More so, related to Mercury (Budha), a person also has the chance of
> receiving a higher education and the capability to take decisions on his own
> in a difficult situation. People favorably influenced by a strong Budha lead
> a highly intellectual life.
>
> Mercury also imparts rational thoughts to the native, the person may also
> become an expert in his or her field. Persons under the Effect of Mercury
> (Budha) enter into all kinds of fields from medicine to sports, from
> engineering to teaching. Thanks to Mercury's influence the person develops
> leadership qualities too. Once he makes a decision; he does that in a proper
> [...]
<snip>