Comments interleaved below.

TurquoiseB wrote:

> "stress" is just an intellectual excuse that those who
> believe themselves unenlightened can cling to to preserve
> their illusion of unenlightenment.
>
> To balance my original statement, I concede that *providing*
> such excuses could be seen as a positive thing.  It enables
> those who *want* to cling to ignorance to do so without feeling
> bad about it.

Acknowledged, but I must say that Maharishi's emphasis
on stress and physiological purification led me to huge,
huge transformations in my body and my realization of
the silent nature of consciousness. As Robert Gimbel said
in a previous post, being well-rested, properly fed and
exercised are relative things that can generate breakthroughs
in awareness.

(Ironically, I healed myself most with a non-Maharishi
program. Hence, while I tend to champion Maharishi
in this forum, I also agree with those who attack his
"my way or the highway" policies.)

Anyway, I don't fault Maharishi for a moment for his emphasis on stress.

In our Philosophy of Science core course at MIU in 1977, David
Clay deconstructed the stress theory and clarified its shortcomings.
It was a clarifying if understated moments in my Maharishi education.

> P.S.  In case you've never encountered it, one approach that
> is sometimes taken by some spiritual teachers when dealing
> with students who have established a history of clinging to
> their stories is to poke fun at the student for doing so.  ...
>  Sometimes all it does is
> reinforce the stories and make the student angry.

I've had that done to me. Now I see what the teacher was
getting at, but it didn't work for me at the time. The course
was a waste of my money. I would have been better off to put
the funds into a weekend of panchakarma, pursuing MMY's
purification path instead of the tough love approach of the
that seminar.

- Patrick Gillam