--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <feste37@...> wrote:

> [...]

myself, whenever I choose, it seems, as existing within a vast Nothing that is
also myself (there seems to be no other way of describing it)-- although I do
not experience that Nothing as God. That's not the word that comes to mind at
all.

My experience of God -- and it is an unmistakable and quite recent experience,
unlike anything else I've ever had -- is of a being who is quite Other than me,
completely separate from me, and yet who knows me intimately, and has infinite
compassion and a complete lack of judgment about me (neither of which qualities
have I ever been able to muster by myself to apply to myself), and all without
making a big deal out of it -- it's very gentle and quiet and simple and
practical. I find it rather humbling to have such experiences, the most recent
of which came at a time of crisis, and I don't think I am fooling myself about
it. I was being guided at that time by a Being who, one would have to say, even
though it feels rather awkward, is worthy of the name Lord or Heavenly Father,
just as the Christians say. I did not in any way at that time feel that I was
being guided by my "higher self," an overused New Age term which is probably due
for retirement.

Mind you, I'm not convinced that there is a dichotomy between these two
perspectives. They are just different viewpoints.

After all, in the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna tells Arjuna early on that the eternal
is within him. He is, in essence, a part of the one reality and can therefore
never cease to exist. (I take that to be close to the "Nothing" that I seem to
be able to experience at will.)

But when Krishna reveals himself to Arjuna in Chapter 11 in his full glory, he
is a Being who stands wholly apart from Arjuna, superior to him and infinitely
more vast than he, in every way imaginable.

Arjuna, then, in addition to receiving the knowledge that he is eternal -- he is
the vastness of the absolute that cannot, in the nature of things, ever pass out
of existence -- also has an experience of God as Other, as Not Myself.

I would like to continue to live with both perspectives. I can feel the presence
of the Nothing as the Self, but I don't feel that that invalidates an I-Thou
relationship between the individual person and the all-knowing and all-seeing
God who knows even when a sparrow falls to the ground. It's a paradox in which
the individual self may at once know a Unity that brings peace and a sense of
the vastness of Being, but also an Otherness that is beyond anything that the
individual self can merge or be at one with. It is just too vast to be
comprehended.

Such are my puny musings on a hot humid Saturday night in Fairfield, IA.

Once again, I have enjoyed your posts, MZ, which are written with such grace and
conviction and ruthless honesty. I think you are on an amazing journey.

You might just reconvert me yet. What comes through in your post is the
persuasive way in which you have argued for a true reconciliation of East and
West (if I can interpret it that way).

I always look for objective evidence of the disagreement between reality and a
given person's adherence to the Eastern religious experience. Because I believe
this disagreement an objective metaphysical truth.

I usually, almost always, find such evidence.

But not in your case. What conclusion can I draw from my experience of someone
whose belief system on the one hand upholds the viability and truth of the
Eastern vision of creation while simultaneously upholding—at least in principle
if not in actual orthodox doctrine—the viability and truth of the Western
vision of creation?

That you are a good person (secretly, inscrutably blessed) who for whatever
reason has been given the grace to live authentically and honestly—and
serenely—within these two conflicting interpretations of reality (although I
understand what you are saying is the case here; that they represent different
perspectives on the same underlying truth)—without experiencing any
contradiction.

Now I cannot follow you rationally or logically in this (although I feel the
quality of your intelligence); that is, my reason and my personal history will
not allow me to do this. But I am, I think, completely won over to the truth of
your position, since the actual experience I get of the person who has posted
these comments is a person who embodies in herself or himself this, for me,
impossible truth: that Arjuna and (as it were) Aquinas can be apprehended in
such a way so as to be both, each in their own way, referring to the same
ultimate truth—although in this case, it is your own personal (and recent)
experience which substitutes for Aquinas (my non-living teacher of the Western
tradition).

This is a most interesting paradox, Feste36, because it suggests there is the
possibility of a personal subjectivity which transcends the significance and
implication of what for me are two incompatible vantage points on God, or
ultimate reality. The exemplary instance of this inconceivable (before reading
your letter: others have tried to make essentially the same case as you have
here, but unsuccessfully; you, on the other hand, have convincingly
demonstrated after all that one can truthfully live out a life which harmonizes
what seems to me to be a dissonance-begetting proposition) reconciliation is
yourself. You more than pull it off.

And I am left wondering to myself: How is this possible?

Because, to repeat myself, if someone apprehends life in some definitive way
such that their metaphysical commitment is at variance with reality—and no
matter what: based upon my own personal experience and reasoning, I judge the
fundamental Eastern (Maharishi's) point of view to be thus wrongly situated
with respect of what is actually the case—then there will always be evidence,
however concealed or obscured (say by the attractiveness of the personality
and/or the acuteness of  the intelligence) of some failure to make contact with
what is real.

Invariably I find myself able to pick this up—either in writing or in person.
Because if one's ultimate beliefs are in effect more or less in accordance with
reality then there is no conscious  or unconscious pressure upon the
subjectivity of that person to make their beliefs fit reality as they live
inside a spiritual context which does in fact match their beliefs (even if they
are unaware of this). The person is, at it were, coming at life within a more
unconstrained subjectivity.

On the other hand, I have found in my experience if a person's ultimate beliefs
are not in accordance with reality (as I believe was the case with Maharishi,
which explains his seriously diminished brilliance and clarity towards the end
of his life), this shows up unconsciously in the strain that is put upon their
subjectivity as it bears the consequence of this lack of a one to one
correspondence between their beliefs and the reality in which they are forced
to live.

In the instance of yourself this spiritual hypothesis is disproven, for you
give the strongest impression of being a loving, intelligent, and serene human
being. You, then, are providing in your personal life the experimental proof of
the truth—however inconceivable it is to myself—that the East and West can be
harmonized in the consciousness of a single person.

A wonderful experience for me, even as it leaves me in a serious quandary.
Because, you see, you have not convinced me logically or rationally of the
empirical plausibility of this proposition, but the quiet and intense radiance
of your own consciousness does better than logic and reason in this case to
make your point.

I accept—in the case of yourself at least—the truth of what you have affirmed
in this post.

And I will live with the consequences.

Thank you for your letter which expresses something of the loving goodness
which I believe is behind creation and the individual existence of ourselves as
living created beings.

You have forced a paradox upon me, Feste36.