--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Yogi" <raviyogi@...> wrote:
> Thanks Steve, I can understand the conflict between passing your
> knowledge to your children and giving them ready made beliefs and I
> think you made a right choice in the end, to not impose anything on
> them. I have similar mindset of not passing any "spiritual" advice to
my
> kids, the kids are very impressionable and vulnerable to harm by the
> parents (especially religion) - it's just better to provide all the
> material needs and let them carve their own unique path. Although my
> older kid is only 13 I don't plan on dishing any spiritual advice
unless
> I'm asked. Of course it might not even be necessary since he has been
> surrounded by it since his birth and may be that is indeed part of my
> reluctance. Then I also realize his path(samskaras, innate nature) is
> dramatically different than mine and my advice would have to be highly
> tailored to his nature.

Thanks for reply.  I am a little pressed for time this morning.   I have
ceded the spirtiutal training of my kids to my wife, who is Catholic.
This has been a big burden removed from me.  I grew up in a different
tradition and likely would have been lazy about giving them instruction
in that background, or even them getting them to religious services.  As
such my role has been to interact with them in mostly fun activities,
and to institute discipline when necessary. Although fortunately my wife
has also taken the lead in that regard as well.  I would like to think
of myself as being an involved parent.  I think I could make a strong
case to for that.

They are aware of my religious/spirtiual beliefs for the most part.  I
don't really talk about them (especially the spiritual as opposed to the
religious).  But it has certainly given them a different perspective.
One which I suspect will creep in more as they get older.