--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray1" <steve.sundur@...>
wrote:

> Exactly 37 years ago I was hitchiking from Snowass, Colorado to Cobb
> Mountain California for my SCI (Science of Creative Intelligence)
> course, as part of my overall objective to become a teacher
(initiator)
> of TM.
>
> Now, I have a son, 18, who is getting ready to attend college in the
> fall.  And I reflect on how the trajectory he is taking is so
different
> than mine.  I don't know if even a single time in his 18 years (or
fewer
> years for the other two - younger kids) if I even once mentioned
giving
> meditation a try.  In fact if/when, they would bring it up, I
generally
> tried to change the subject as quckly as possible.
>
> What I am trying to say, (and not doing a very good job of it), is
that
> it is strange to see him taking a completely different approach to
life.
> I think it is the right approach for him, and there is no way I would
> have wanted to him navigate the years of drug use and general abandon
> that preceded my introduction to TM.  On the other hand, I think I can
> say that those were just symptons of an overall seeking mentality.   I
> gave them up almost immediately when I found what I felt I was looking
> for.
>
> A part of me hopes that in some way he will to a desire to penetrate
the
> more "accidental" aspects of life and seek out the "essential".   I
> think that will a happen.
>
> Anyway, right now, we have to go shopping for a new arm chair for our
> communal room, soI'll check in later on.  Usually when I dangle a
little
> question like that the response is           .

Thanks Steve, I can understand the conflict between passing your
knowledge to your children and giving them ready made beliefs and I
think you made a right choice in the end, to not impose anything on
them. I have similar mindset of not passing any "spiritual" advice to my
kids, the kids are very impressionable and vulnerable to harm by the
parents (especially religion) - it's just better to provide all the
material needs and let them carve their own unique path. Although my
older kid is only 13 I don't plan on dishing any spiritual advice unless
I'm asked. Of course it might not even be necessary since he has been
surrounded by it since his birth and may be that is indeed part of my
reluctance. Then I also realize his path(samskaras, innate nature) is
dramatically different than mine and my advice would have to be highly
tailored to his nature.