--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
<anartaxius@...> wrote:

 > I do not think researchers promoting TM have made their case regarding a
 > >unique state of consciousness. As consciousness is usually defined in
 > spiritual    >traditions, it is given attributes that place it *outside* the
 > domain of the physical    >world, and thus a state of consciousness in these
 > terms cannot have any scientific    >meaning. A definition of consciousness
 > in terms of the functioning of the brain    >would work, but no one seems to
 > agree what that would be. The best one can say    >is that certain
 > physiological signatures seem to be correlated with reports of
 > >subjective experience, and that is about as far as it goes. If
 > consciousness is    >physical, then a definition that would work for science
 > in theory is possible. I    >would have no trouble with that, but spiritual
 > types likely would because it    >removes the emotional value of the concept
 > of transcendence which would be    >defined out of existence.

Well, research published since 1981 has attempted to identify markers of pure
consciousness. I've posted this before. Did you bother reading, or did you just
miss my earlier posts?

Research on the physiological correlates of pure consciousness found during TM
practice:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7045911
Breath suspension during the transcendental meditation technique.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10512549
Pure consciousness: distinct phenomenological and physiological correlates of
"consciousness itself".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9009807
Autonomic patterns during respiratory suspensions: possible markers of
Transcendental Consciousness.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10487785
Autonomic and EEG patterns during eyes-closed rest and transcendental
meditation (TM) practice: the basis for a neural model of TM practice.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19862565
A self-referential default brain state: patterns of coherence, power, and
eLORETA sources during eyes-closed rest and Transcendental Meditation practice.

Research on the physiological correlates of the stabilization of pure
consciousness outside of meditation in long-term TM meditators:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12406612
Patterns of EEG coherence, power, and contingent negative variation
characterize the integration of transcendental and waking states.

http://www.tm.org/american-psychological-association
Abstract for the 2007 Conference of the American Psychological Association
Brain Integration Scale: Corroborating Language-based
Instruments of
Post-conventional Development

Research on the physiological correlates of the stabilization of pure
consciousness outside of meditation in non-meditators:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2009.01007.x/full
Higher psycho-physiological refinement in world-class Norwegian athletes: brain
measures of performance capacity