Reply to Lawson (sparaig) via Judy's (authfriend) post.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@> wrote:

> > > http://www.mbcttrainingen.nl/Resources/Meditation%20and%
> > > 20Neuroscience.pdf
> > >
> > > They cite a theoretical paper by Travis and Wallace from
> > > 2004, and a book on the EEG of meditation published in 1987.
> > > Everything else is older than that.
> > >
> > > My point still stands: the studies cited are from 25
> > > years ago.
> >
> > That's because TM has been around that long. Good science
> > doesn't need to be repeated if it was done right the first
> > time. So they leave the first good science as that is
> > sufficient. If it's BS, they're better off leaving it. I
> > guess you could say 'it's ship has sailed'. We know what
> > it is and there's not much more to be said at this late date.
>
> This is meaningless babble designed to obscure the fact
> that Vaj is attempting to mislead.
>
> Lawson is correct about the dates of the TM studies
> discussed by the researchers Vaj cites. They cited only
> the early TM research on the EEG signature of pure
> consciousness and ignored everything done after that.
> The single later study they cited is in a different
> category entirely, and their citation of it does not
> disprove what Lawson said.
>
> The abstract of that study is here if anyone is
> interested:
>
> http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1053810004000212
>
> The point is that TM researchers have continually
> refined their methodology over the years. The researchers
> Vaj touts dismissed the early studies as not definitive,
> but there's no indication in their paper that they looked
> at the later, post-1985 studies to see whether those studies
> had more definitive findings as a result of the improved
> methodology.
>
> Vaj has claimed in other posts, and implies above, that
> his researchers didn't mention or cite the later studies
> because they found those studies no more definitive than
> the earlier ones, but of course one can't make that
> assumption. It's entirely possible that his researchers
> *did* look at the later studies and didn't discuss them
> because they *were* more definitive and couldn't be
> dismissed so easily.
>
> The "tell" in the study Vaj touts that his researchers
> at the very least did not understand what TM involves
> is this statement:
>
> "The initial claim that TM produces a unique state of
> consciousness different than sleep has been refuted by
> several EEG meditation studies which reported sleep-like
> stages during this technique with increased alpha and
> then theta power."
>
> Of course the EEG findings of "sleep-like stages" during
> TM practice does *not* "refute" the claim that TM
> produces a unique state of consciousness. Nowhere does
> TM claim that this unique state is found *throughout*
> the TM meditation period, to the contrary.
>
> One hopes this was an inadvertent straw man, not a
> deliberate attempt by the researchers to mislead. But
> [...]

Vaj is correct in that well done science does not have to be repeated, but it
is not always possible to know if that is the final say on a subject. Most of
the studies on TM both my TM movement involved scientists and those outside of
the movement are typically too small to definitively answer most questions.
Characterising consciousness with physiological signatures is a tricky thing
when no definition of what consciousness is or how it comes to be the way it is
in experience is known. Many of the early studies on TM have been refuted, and
I once heard MUM scientist Fred Travis say so many years ago, in the late
1990s. Dr Travis said that in light of the early studies being overturned, it
was up to him to find out what the differences really are. For example Dr David
Holmes tested experienced TM teachers and non-meditators to study arousal
reducing effects, using better controlled conditions than Wallace and Benson
used in their original research and found essentially no difference. Homles
exposed his group to stressful situations and found the meditators did not do
any better than the controls. This resulted in protests from the meditating
community. Still Holmes only employed 20 people total in this study, so it
should be considered preliminary, but what he did address was fixing the
protocol that skewed the results of the original study. Sloppy protocol is
responsible for skewing the results in many many experiments and is a
particular problem with those who have heavily invested belief that the outcome
should conform to a particular result.

If we were to say that suspension of breath is a property of transcendental
consciousness, and that in cosmic consciousness this transcendental value is
maintained all the time, and we observe no suspension of breath if an athlete
is running and breathing deeply but claims to have the experience of
transcendence even so, we cannot say that suspension of breath is a property
definitively correlated with the transcendent.

One of the properties discovered early on was phase coherence of varying
degrees during meditation between different parts of the brain, and this
coherence seemed to persist even out of meditation in longer-term meditators. I
believe more recently it has been found that the amount of coherence does not
keep increasing, but its more or less invariable persistence over time is
perhaps the best correlation with 'growth of consciousness'. Once could
hypothesise that a persistent wide-spread synchronic coherence in the brain,
that is not localised to any specific part of the brain is what we experience
as the transcendent. For a scientist not given to metaphysics, this would mean
that transcendence is a physical activity in the brain whose experiential
correlate is transcendence. For metaphysicians this will not do. If the idea of
unity makes any sense though, an exact correspondence between physiology and
experience would hold. We have to ask the question whether consciousness is
physical or not, or whether is makes any difference to say that consciousness
creates physical reality versus physical reality creates consciousness. If
everything is being, perhaps this is a question that creates the problem by
categorising the elements of the argument in different categories when in fact,
they are the same category. In being, everything is the same category, but if
the mind, that is experience, is fragmented conceptually, and we cannot see
through the verbal mapping of concepts onto raw, non-verbal experience, then
the question seems to have significance.

Now regarding the pulled paper by Dr Schneider et al. We do not know if the
data was fudged or not, but some felt there were suspicions that it might have
been, but the matter cannot be settled until the new data is incorporated, and
the paper reviewed again. The following blogger, who in general seems to feel
TM research is flawed by ideological tampering with data certainly seems to
think so:

http://transcendental-meditation-honestly.blogspot.com/

The following blog by an experienced medical journalist seems to be the first
item related to the pulling of the paper:

http://blogs.forbes.com/larryhusten/2011/06/28/new-concerns-raised-about-withdrawn-archives-meditation-paper/

This next blog appeared on the web site of the world's pre-eminent science
journal Nature.

http://blogs.nature.com/news/2011/06/journal_pulls_meditation_paper.html

and back to the first blogger, we have a report of a Wikipedia editor speaking
of the troubles they were having with articles related to TM, with editors who
came online removing all negative references to the practice and people in the
organisation. There are a number of interesting links in this blog post.

http://transcendental-meditation-honestly.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html

Vaj may be jumping the gun on his critique of the pulled paper, but there seems
to be precedent enough to always consider that it will turn out to be true.
Funding sources, researcher bias, and general biases that occur when searching
for something to test in a scientific experiment all lead to results that
initially are exaggerated, and when re-tested with better controlled
experiments, the results are much less, or sometimes non-existent. My own
experience is the movement, and most in the organisation that I have met or
seen do not display any of the neutrality required to do proper science and
accommodate the results of scientific investigation in a completely honest way.
Sometimes I think it is deliberately dishonest. I think this is very
unfortunate. A religiously indoctrinated mind simply cannot understand the
logical, emotional, and procedural neutrality required to do and evaluate
science in a way that minimises personal bias.