A company like the one that does the DVD would do it this way because
they have their own distribution.  But they probably prefer to license
to a distributor in the US.  If you read around the Facebook page,
Netfix, IMDB you'll find the DVD has been on sale for some time all over
Europe.  When you are one person trying to do it the budget way then yes
the one offs make sense but when you have a stable of titles like the
German company it's bigger fish to fry. ;-)