From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:06 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Conversation between Curtis & Robin

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunshine@> wrote:
> >
> > On Oct 18, 2011, at 4:37 PM, Rick Archer wrote:
> >
> > > Robin is having trouble posting this, so I'm doing it for him:
> >
> > Maybe his email program is bored out of its
> > mind by his  mind-numbingly
> > long-winded posts, and has decided to rebel.
>
> Hey Sal,
>
> I have to take part of the credit or blame for the length
> since I produced my half of it.  And I can certainly see
> how from the outside this beast is just too much to bear!
> Seriously.  But I defend the charge that Robin is just
> sending out monologues to strangers here.
>
> This is one of the most interesting discussions I have
> engaged in here.  And unfortunately it took a lot of words
> to suss out some key points of interest to both Robin and
> me.  The driving force behind this exchange is a genuine
> interest in understanding each other's process for
> approaching reality.  Because it engages our complete
> philosophies, it requires a lot of words.  What we are
> attempting is not simple.  And of course any conversation
> with me is going to be lengthened by whatever improv comedy
> strikes me as I write, so there we tack on even more.
>
> I am not making a case that this should be of interest to
> anyone else. I am just owning my part in it.

I, too, thank Curtis for his explanation. I do not
share his fascination with either the people he gets
into long-winded discussions with, or with any of
their ideas, but it's probably good that someone does.

As much as I love Curtis, sometimes I see him as the
Patron Saint Of The Terminally Self Important. As such,
he is pretty much the polar opposite of myself. When I
encounter someone on the Internet who combines an over-
weaning sense of their own self importance with an
almost pathological need to use as many words as humanly
possible to convince others of that importance, all
while coming up with a near-absolute dearth of creative
ideas (or even original ideas), I tend to react to them
the way Dogbert does in the cartoon I posted recently,
by waving my paw at them and saying "Bah."

Curtis *engages* them. Like the saint he is, he reacts
to the nothing they say by either pretending it's some-
thing or (more likely) as if he's actually able to find
something interesting in it. As such, he has become in
a way the "therapist to the stars," or at least those
who are legends in their own minds and convinced that
they *are* stars.

Whereas few others consider Robin or Judy or Ravi or
Jim interesting enough to even *read*, Curtis not only
reads their stuff but replies to it as if it actually
deserved a reply. He meets nitpick with nitpick, self-
obsession with "I can understand why you're obsessed
with that," tirade with humor. I admire his compassion
and his patience in doing this; it is a skill that I
lack. Since I honestly don't think that I've ever seen
an original or creative idea emanate from ANY of the
people I mentioned, it is very difficult for me to
pretend that I have. It's much easier -- and a far
better use of my time -- to wave my paw at them and
say "Bah" than it is to get into their obsessions with
them. Curtis feels otherwise, and thus provides these
oh-so-needy people with the attention that they so
desperately seek.

It's like he's the Mother Teresa of the Internet.
Whereas some encounter a leper trying to show off his
sores and turn away, Curtis says, "Wow...that's really
a good one. Just LOOK at the pus oozing from that one,"
and allows them to feel good about themselves, as if
there were at least one person out there in cyberspace
who feels that they're interesting enough to deal with.

It is thus IMO a form of selfless service, and I commend
him for it. I may not read it, even though I know that
this may deprive me of glimpses of his awesome humor,
but I think it's neat that he does it.