--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tartbrain <no_reply@...> wrote:

Re: Conversation between Curtis & Robin

Some thoughts, not arguments or siding with this or that view. More for my own
insights and playful viewing of things.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, maskedzebra <no_reply@...> wrote:

 Dear Barry Wright,

MZ: If you can ever get Curtis to admit that he is, in relationship to myself,
acting the part of Mother Theresa, or if he, in his response to my latest post,
gives *any* indication that this could possibly be the case, I shall cease
posting at FFL. For what you say in this post to be true means the refutation
and destruction of my entire philosophy.

TB: Is that a bad thing. Not your philosophy per se, but anyone's, all of ours.
It
seems healthy, even necessary, (in the abstract, easier said than done)to
periodically come to new insights and realizations that enable one to rather
joyfully refute, destroy and abandon ones prior views (and meta-views which may
be another way of getting at the term philosophies).

RC2: I understand you perfectly here. And of course I would rejoice in having
my philosophy destroyed—if I could experience it was being destroyed by
something truer than itself. But to merely, abstractly, assume this perpetual
contingency is a good thing to contemplate would mean that in holding to the
validity of one's philosophy (it works for me) I am living it out with
reservations, reservations which would inhibit my existential commitments to
what is real. I think you misunderstand me here, as if I am saying: It will be
the death of me if I am refuted. Not at all. I can both live and adhere to my
philosophy as if it is ultimately real without thereby becoming defensive and
irrational should it be challenged. You are drawing a conclusion out of what I
say which is not in the least implied by the specific way in which I am writing
here—and what I seek to convey.

MZ: Since I take as an original premise the idea that I can read more or less
the
motives of others when they write to myself.

TB: And how would you know? For sure? In some epistemologically valid way.

RC2: How does a clinical psychologist attempt to talk to a patient who is
paying him for psychotherapy—or a psychoanalyst to an analysand? I am not
making the claim that I *infallibly* understand (or "read") the motives of
others when they write to me; I am only saying, that in some subjective sense,
I have the ability to go quite a ways in that direction, enough so, that I can
use my perception of motive as part of the arsenal I bring to the debate. Now I
believe I was wrong in some very subtle sense about Curtis, and you can see how
I have made amends for this in my latest post (directed to him). There could
be, except for God (who possesses what Linda Zagzebski refers to as
Omnisubjectivity: "the property of consciously grasping with perfect accuracy
and completeness the first-person perspective of every conscious being. . .
this property explains how an omniscient being is able to distinguish between
first person and third person knowledge of the same fact, and it explains how
an omniscient being is able to know what it is like for conscious creatures to
have their distinctive sensations and emotions, minds, and attitudes."), no
created person who could decode perfectly the subjective experience of another
person. That is intrinsically a private matter—and science will never (as a
Mysterian, this is what I believe) find the neurophysiological correlates to
qualia. First person ontology is that element within creation which, by the
very nature of itself, asks something of us that goes beyond science—Curtis's
POV notwithstanding.

But if there is a being in the universe (God) who does see and understand
perfectly what goes on inside our first person ontology (which is never
repeated in any other human being, past, present, or future), then it becomes
possible to conceive, just as in a third person perspective, the *possibility*
of participating in this knowledge that only God has. Participating here might
mean (and I believe it does in my case) sensing the motives of others when they
write to myself *to the extent to which, at least, my interpretation is valid".
"In some epistemologically valid way"? Well, I suppose in some relative sense
this actually is true, which is a different kind of process from what the
psychotherapist is doing, or the psychiatrist. He is using psychology to
penetrate to the meaning of an individual's psyche. I hold out the possibility
that there is an intuitive realm of apperception that transcends this purely
psychological dimension, and exists because of the fact there there is a
knowingness going on somewhere which perfectly grasps the first person
perspective of that very person with whom I am interacting—I, as it were, draw
upon this inspiration—with, I suppose, God's grace. But of course I am as
likely to be wrong as the next person; and I have been very very wrong about
many persons. Still, there is light there, and for me to have mistaken, in this
concrete instance, the motives of Curtis in writing to me such as to not see
that his motives accorded with what Barry insists they are, would be a rather
fatal and even cataclysmic error of judgment. I have spent so many hours
reading and responding to Curtis; all within the indefectible sense of his
motive as being incompatible with everything that Barry says in his post
(Mother Theresa).

The knowing is in the proof of what happens when one attributes a certain
motive to someone and acts upon the veracity of that assumed motive. I think I
was proven right about Curtis; I think Barry out of his mind is saying what he
said as it applies to myself.

MZ: So, I am declaring then, Barry, that everything you say in this post is
false

TB: Everything? Absolutely everything? There is no grey, no nuance, no
alternative
views, no other possibilities? Its all black and white -- you are absolutely
right and he is absolutely wrong, without qualification?

RC2: Hold it here, tartbrain: You are not arguing with me on the basis of the
discrete and specific point Barry is making. He is saying that something is
wet; I am saying it is dry. In the case of Curtis and Robin, it is an all or
nothing proposition, and you will understand this is the case if you have read
our exchange of posts. Either Curtis is all in and fighting for his life, and I
am all in and fighting for my life, or the whole thing is a crock. No, in *this
particular* instance, it happens to come down to one way or the other. You are
abstracting the issue out of its instantiated concreteness. From this
perspective, of course, there could be, there likely would be, "nuance,
alternative views", "other possibilities", "qualifications". But Barry has a
personal animus against me which militates against any objectivity, or rather
is incompatible with that necessary disinterestedness which would confer upon
his judgments the semblance of truth. When Barry says something about me which
I feel *comes from his real experience*, I will feel this, and then all of what
you say will perhaps enter into the equation.

MZ: (I assume it is basically false as well with respect to the other persons
who
you categorize as being ministered to by the missionary charity of Curtis; but I
don't profess to know this for a dead certainty). Let's put it this way, Barry:
You are saying Curtis is writing to me for reasons which directly contradict
what he formally professes are his reasons.

TB: Not referencing Curtis per se, but is it a real stunner that sometimes
people
are not aware of the full basis and root of their motivations? Are you
absolutely in tune with and understand to the depth of your own existence, clear
on all of the myriad of motivations typically driving any actions or behaviors?
And if you answer yes, how would you really know that. It seems all of us are
blind to our delusions and blindspots -- else they would not be blind spots. If
your premise is that you have absolutely no blind spots, well, that's
fascinating. But again, how would you know?

RC2: Well, tartbrain, what do you think I am going to say to all this? That I
*am* "absolutely in tune with and understand to the depth of [my] own
existence, clear on all the myriad of motivations typically driving any actions
or behaviors?"I submit to you that this conclusion is not at all warranted in a
fair reading of my response to Barry. You must surely understand that I am
employing irony and subterfuge here; I am arguing after all with someone who
has never once addressed me personally, nor has ever addressed a single one of
arguments. Of course I am provocative and extreme in what I say; if he would
talk to me in the persona of who he really is as a human being, then you would
find, quite automatically, I would drop the sarcasm, and we would see how the
mitigation of my uncompromising position played out. Again, you are taking
things that I have said inside a rather complex psychological circumstance, and
judging me by what I say there as if I am trying to say I am in contact with
the Platonic forms of the real. I only know one thing: God's omnisubjectivity
holds out the possibility that each of us can, at least in theory, know
something about the inner first person ontology of a given person simply on the
basis that  there is a consciousness which possesses this perfect knowingness.
Believe me, I have my blind spots—I almost encounter the evidence of this every
day of my life. Especially around persons who, in some respects, see me more
accurately than I see myself.

MZ: Am I to believe you and believe him to be lying to me? I have conducted an
offline correspondence with Curtis, and our interactions within this context
would make of Curtis, should you be right in what you say actuates his writing
to me, a psychopathic monster.

TB: Girlfriends I am sure have called him worse.

RC2: Does this originate in personal knowledge? Let's the dirt on Curtis. There
are former girlfriends who are theists [not evidently his current GF], I
suppose, and resented his scientism when it came to love-making—or cooking—or
ventriloquism—or the blues—or animal whispering? Former GFs who have called him
worse than a "psychopathic monster"? I need to know this in order to get some
more people on my side of the argument. No, Curtis, whatever he is, is
authentic and sincere—and bloody goddamn intelligent. This is enough for me. He
ain't lying about why we correspond. And if he is, why then I plan to look up
all those former GFs and enlist their aid in my attempts to make him come
clean. We shall surely blacken his name—rub him out as one of the Elect.

MZ: I will simply say, Barry, you are as inherently wrong about your
characterization of Curtis, as I am objectively right in my attribution of his
motives in writing to me,

TB: "Me absolutely right, you absolutely wrong." That is an interesting pattern
in
your writing and expressed views (as it is in some others at times).

RC2: Hey, tartbrain, lighten up. This is rhetorically necessary within the
subjective (first person ontological) context within which this controversy is
going on. If he is going to say Curtis is acting under the motive of compassion
and empathy in his long posts to Robin, then Curtis has traduced himself
fatally. He can't be doing this; ergo, I am absolutely right and Barry is
absolutely wrong. And I am sure, at least in the case of myself, Curtis would
admit this to you. (But I have a hunch he wants to cover off for Barry, and he
will only tacitly indicate that I am not far wrong in what I have said.) Again,
tartbrain, you are making of me an example based upon my having said something
*inside the movement and energy and specificity of a particular dramatic moment
in time*. See the difference? I am not, making some philosophical point inside
the the white radiance of eternity.

MZ: viz, that he is utterly sincere and engaged with all his mind and heart.

TB: All? No more room for uncovering deeper levels of mind and heart that he
has not
yet fathomed? Curtis is at the end of his road developmentally?

RC2: I am not attempting to be precisely scientific here, tartbrain. I am
speaking as a human being. As you would saying to your girlfriend: " I love
you". Without meaning you were overlooking "deeper levels of mind and heart
that you had not yet fathomed"—re: her, re: yourself. I would not normally say
this about almost anyone else, but with Curtis, I think it holds—and if you
review our posts from the beginning I think a strong case can be made that,
insofar as his subjectivity is entailed in this exercise, he is "utterly
sincere and engaged with all his mind and heart". Maybe he was not. But to the
extent to which he acted in good faith with me, this description is true and
what Barry says is false.

MZ: And I let this declaration stand: unless Curtis gainsays what I have said
here—or even qualifies it in any way—I will assume that I am right and you,
terribly, perversely wrong.

TB:Black and white, day and night. (Though I suppose "Day for Night" might be
closer to the truth. That is, for most people, not all things are as the appear
to be. Most people accept this, humbly, and practically.)

RC2: Now don't go platitudinous on me, tartbrain. It's Night and Day for me
with Barry, OK? Temporarily, under the circumstances, under the exigent
necessity of challenging his insolence, his carelessness, his hostility. When
Barry decides to lighten up, I will too, then we can get back to "the humble
and the practical." "For most people, not all things are as they appear to be."
Yes, I have seen a stick appear to be bent under the water. Barry appears to be
bent under the water—but until he unbends himself, I will continue to see him
as I wish to and *must* see him. No doubt Barry is *not* as I depict him in my
posts. But you see, tartbrain, *I am responding to Barry inside a certain
context" which is determined by his very imprecise and inapposite remarks about
my posts. If he reveals his reasons for his crankiness, perhaps then I can take
him seriously. But I can't take him seriously now, because he is throwing rocks
and not standing still after he has done this so I can see him. Does anyone
(other than Sal and a few others *understand* the basis of his grievance with
me in a way which compares to the commitment I have made to make my motives
clear in all those lengthy posts?) I am simply being more sincere than Barry
is, tartbrain—even in my ironical rejoinders. Who knows, maybe you and Barry
can get together and take me out to the woodshed. But you first have to come up
with some specific sensation of truth. Felt, understood, and then expressed.

MZ: You have never once even attempted to make your case, and you haven't here
either. Again, Barry, I challenge Curtis:

TB: Is Curtis so slow he needs to be challenged twice?

RC2: Picayune.

MZ: if he refuses to issue any kind of statement in support—even
infinitesimally—

TB: Even infinitesimally? Not room for even one photon of variance (or in
Curtis's
case, deviance -- the thrill and nuances of deviance appears to be something, as
we all perhaps should enjoy, that Curtis thrives on. Quirky and dancing to the
sound of his own drummer.

RC2: OK, tartbrain: you win: get Curtis to weigh in on all this. If he ends up
saying something that you believe warrants your concluding that he agrees with
you in the substance of what you are after me about here, then I stand
corrected. But first you have to do this. You evidently know Curtis a lot
better than I do. But I believe Curtis understands *me* better than you
understand Curtis.

MZ: of what you have said are his reasons for writing to me, I will assume, for
the
record, that you are, at least with respect to myself, egregiously wrong.

TB: Egregious. No room for any subtlety or nuance.

RC2: No, the subtlety and nuance in all in the lack of subtlety and nuance.
Think about that one, tartbrain.

MZ: And that Curtis knows you to be a false witness to his actions.

TB: String this savage up for bearing false witness.

RC2: He is not maliciously bearing false witness of course. I don't hold him in
violation of the Mosaic law here. But to the extent that he pretends to speak
for Curtis—*and the extent to which in doing so he is misrepresenting
Curtis*—yes, by all means, string him up. Oops! I mean—get this, please,
tartbrain— *figuratively*. I am not quite ready to give him the condign Rick
Perry treatment.

MZ: If I had the very slightest doubt

TB: Awesome that you have not here, and appear never to have, the slightest
doubt. A
mentor, quite bright, has said many times "I don't know". Not in some casual
way, but really "I DON"T KNOW!". That state of detachment for me can be
liberating, if not unsettling at times. Some traditions (EmptyBill can
elaborate) find that state of utter detachment from not knowing anything for
sure is on the verge of wisdom.

RC2: The really sublime "not knowing" is the kind of experience Socrates had,
when he was supernaturally informed that *he did not know*; he knew, just like
Paul did that Christ was the Son of God, that he, Socrates, *was ignorant*.
That is a special kind of knowledge, to be aware of what are the conditions
that obtain which would demonstrate—to one's first person ontology—Hey, I am
*certain*, infallibly certain, I am in a state of not knowing. I have, you will
never believe this, tartbrain, actually known this state of mind and
consciousness a few times in my life. But *not when it comes to Barry*! There I
am omniscient, or rather omnisubjective.

MZ: about all that I have said here, Barry, I would stop posting at FFL and
personally thank you for performing a service that no one else has been able to
perform for me: demonstrating that I am, when it really comes down to it, a
neurotic human being who seeks the attention of others because of the
shallowness of his soul.

TB: This is not a jab, but do you think that there might be at lease one small
grain
(albeit that is all of course) of neurotic behavior in your life, and that there
might be one small elementary particle in your life that has sought the
attention from others?

RC2: Maybe 1 elementary particle. No more. I am sure of it. Trust me on this,
tarbrain.

MZ: By the way, I refuse to let anyone compensate for me. Do you get this,
Barry?
Think about that.

RC2: Good one, Robin.