My 60's band often opened for the Fish.  In fact at the 1967 New Year's
concert at the Eagles Auditorium most people left after we played the
opening set and there was hardly any crowd for the Fish.  That led them
into insisting we never open for them again. :-D

By then they had become far removed from their earlier psychedelic roots
and the crowd was more into what we were doing than a rock band that was
playing baseball on stage.

Country Joe McDonald is still around and writing music.  I saw him
perform back in 2006 at a protest in Walnut Creek.  He has some new
songs about Iraq but the crowd pleaser was  still "1-2-3 what are we
fighting for."