On 11/13/2011 05:15 AM, maskedzebra wrote:
> Dear Bhairitu,
>
> Fascinating stuff. I never held Country Joe and the Fish as musical geniuses
> or anything like that. It was just that this particular song steeped me in
> the conviction that I wanted to permanently change my consciousness so I
> could live a life where what was being suggested by this music would become
> my normal reality. Believe it or not, TM and Maharishi did exactly this: they
> transformed me so that I went even beyond the LSD experience so that I in
> effect took "Grace" into me and became it—and much more than it. Unity
> Consciousness made LSD and Country Joe and the Fish seem incoherent (compared
> thus to what Maharishi and TM delivered up to me).
>
> Before LSD I never had any conception of something like enlightenment.
> Afterwards it became my obsession: to integrate that experience [conveyed in
> this song] into my personal consciousness so I could become the ultimate love
> child. This is what Maharishi and TM accomplished for me.
>
> Although now of course I reject the entire metaphysics of the East—and the
> reliability of LSD except as something that powerfully confronts the truth of
> oneself. LSD took my measure in the most brilliant and lasting way. But TM
> allowed me seemingly to overcome my problems and become, as it were,
> 'perfect'. So I could say, after the fact: Hey, Joe, I am now existing
> naturally where your music used to take me. And it's even better than "Grace".
>
> I wish I could have heard you play, Bhairitu. Anything on YouTube that
> memorializes your band?

As I discovered the other day one of the band's recordings is in the
stoner comedy "Strange Wilderness" made by Adam Sandler's production
company and starring Steve Zahn, Allen Covert and Justin Long. The song
appears at about 32 minutes into the film right before chapter 5 on the
Bluray or DVD. It's the old traditional song "When You and I were Young,
Maggie." The band did a lot of different kinds of music but this was a
folk tune we recorded. How it got in the movie, I don't know. Probably
got it cheap though. ;-)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489282/

There are some recordings of the Magic Fern, on the Internet for sale as
MP3s. But these are all stuff we did for the Seattle based record
company and most off a demo LP that was put together to sell the group
to Hollywood record companies. There are live recordings from the Eagles
concerts that are better but not to my knowledge circulating on the
Internet.

We opened a concert once with the "Fugs" who played a song that
lampooned Maharishi. And speaking of LSD we also opened for a Timothy
Leary talk. We didn't even have time to get off the stage before he came
on so just sat on stage listening to him. Funny thing, he never once
mentioned drugs, just talked about enlightenment.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: