> > Apparently you only gave a cursory look at Sanderson's
> > Webpage. He has plenty of material demonstrating Buddhist
> > textual borrowing from Shaiva tantric texts...

Vaj:
> In fact certain specific togal practices can be found
> in later shaivite texts, after their bonpo originals...

What 'originals' would these be, since 'Bon' had no written
language until the invention of Tibetan in the mid-7th
century AD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibetan_alphabet

The indigenous practices of pre-Buddhist Tibet are quite
unknown. In fact, the entire pre-Buddhist history of Tibet
is quite unknown. It has not been established that Bon
was even the indigenous religion of Tibet.

Apparently, Indian Buddhism has completly transformed
whatever beliefs once existed in Tibet. At present, our
research into the history of Bon and Tibet is totally
dependent on the expatriate Tibetans oral history being
recorded in India.

> What you may not be aware of is the opposite theory
> of transmission already existed prior to Sanderson's
> theories - that transmission of certain tantric
> materials, sadhanas, etc. had come from buddhism and
> bon into Hinduism...

According to this theory, the practice of Mantrayana was
introduced into Tibet by Shenrab who came over from the
Swat Valley almost 100 years before the arrival of Guru
Padmasambhava.

But, in a bizzare "reverse Tibet" effect, the Mantrayana
Buddhism that Shenrab estabished in Shang Shung came to
be called 'Bon' while the same practice established by
Guru Rinpoche came to called 'Chos'.

It is also a fact that Naropa jopurneyed to Kashmir in
order to obtain the tantras from Tilopa. It should be
noted that the historical Buddha was born in the Gharwal
Himalaya, but if there were any bija mantras in use at
that time (circa 563 BC), the historical Buddha would
have mentioned it.

So, we muct conclude that the above Bon comments are
pure speculation, because it is very difficult to prove
events that supposedly ocurred before recorded history.

The first recorded instances of bija mantra usage occured
during the Gupta Age in India, among the Nath Siddhas and
the so-called '84 Mahasiddhas' of the age of Indian
alchemy. Naropa is considered one of the eighty-four
mahasiddhas, the 'saints' of tantric Buddhism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naropa

Read more:

'Indo-Tibetan Buddhism: Indian Buddhists & Their Tibetan
Successors'
By David Snellgrove
Shambhala, 2003

'Nine Ways of Bon'