On Dec 17, 2011, at 3:01 PM, maskedzebra wrote:

> One thing (you wouldn't know about this personally) about TM and Maharishi:
> it makes you contemptuous and patronizing when it comes to discussing
> Christianity.

Well, unfortunately for you, you've probably lost the best conduit to speak
deeply re: Christianity & TM in the person of Rev. Curtis D. Blues - as he's
the person on this list who spent the most time and attention (that I'm aware
of) getting to know the Catholic priest-meditators-as-TMers - the biggies (most
if not all whom saw through the veneer of the Faux Holey Tradition and parted
ways with TM). I think those who drank deeply of a mystical Christianity broke
easily with the sandy ground of TM, based on the rock of their
Christ-consciousness. Those with a more superficial Christian
sand-consciousness are doomed to the purgatory of up-bubbling mantra till they
part their mortal frame…

At one time Christian Centering Prayer actually resembled TM, although now, not
at all. I attribute that change to the Catholic contemplative break with
TM-as-perrenialist-panacea … and Thomas Keating.

> But I think the real giveaway about the East is its implicit sense of
> superiority over Catholicism, when in fact this very posture is itself
> evidence of something ultimately not in agreement with reality.

Depends on the POV - the "east" is not one homogeneous whole - it's many Points
of View, sometimes not merely differing paths on the same mountain (the
Perennialists view), but more frequently different mountains altogether.

> You never knew who Tim Tebow was a few weeks ago. I am glad you are now fully
> au courant.

On reflection, I had heard of him, I just had little interest. For me,
commercial sports is the primary mechanism for embruing the acceptability of
endless war on our children.

> But you are right: I will be ambivalent tomorrow; I like the Tebow miracle
> storyline, but I also love those Bill Belichick-coached Patriots. Tom Brady
> and Sidney Crosby and Roger Federer and Jonny Wilkenson are my favourite
> athletes.
>
> But I do like Tim Tebow very much: if only for his impressive humility.

Indeed, a wonderful human quality so lacking in Christofascism; but I do not
know enough of Mr. Tebow to comment on his humility. I believe it was you who
once said the sole redeeming quality of mundane Christianity was to keep a
person clean till their next life (after which time they'd presumably take up a
higher path).