zarzari:
> I do not believe in the origin of advaita in
> the Vedic gods, but rather a recast of Yogacara
> Buddhism...

It may be that Shankara was in fact, opposed to
classical yoga and to tantric yoga practice. If
Shankara supported tantric ritual practice and
the practice of yoga as a means to liberation,
he would have had a perfect opportunity to do
so in his sub-commentary to Vyasa's Vivarana
on Patanjali's Yoga Sutra.

The fact is that Shankara did not even mention
tantric practice in his commentary on Mandukhya
Upanishad.

However, even a casual reader of Shankara's work
would conclude that he was very much influenced
by Vajrayana Buddhism. Many scholars have gone
so far as to label Shankar a "crypto-Buddhist".

It is also a fact that most of the works
supposedly authored by Shankara consist of a
refutation of Madhyamika Buddhism. Scholars have
pointed out that in one instance, Shankara
quotes directly from the famous dialectition
Dharmakirti.

That Dharmakirti lived and taught in the seventh
century A.D. is confirmed by that famous visitor
and translator Huan Tsang, who came over from
China during that period.

Based on a reading of the texts, it is also
apparent to most readers that the Paramguru of
Shankara was greatly influenced by Mahayana
Buddhism.

Gaudapadacharya's adoption of the "appearance
only" doctrine is clear evidence that Adwaita
is a close cousin to the Yogacara "consciousness
only" school of Vasubandhu and his brother
Asanga.

In Gauda's commentary or karika on Madukhya he
specifically mentions the appearance only
doctrine and supports his conclusions on the
idea of the "turiya" - a clear reference to the
Nirvana taught by Shakya the Muni in the fourth
century B.C.

Thus it is clear that, far from being a polemic
AGAINST the Yogacara teaching, Shankara's
Adwaita in fact, seeks to preserve all that is
good in the Vijnanavada!