'Paradigm shift' in history?   I   MICHAEL WITZEL

Frawley may `love' India all the way he wants, but if he
really wants to understand, he must at least begin to study
the required sciences, be they anthropology, linguistics,
philology, biology or geography. Of course, he does not see
the need as he already knows the `secrets' of the Veda.

IN MY last contribution (Open Page, February 11, 18), I
mentioned the battle for the "soul of India," and N. S.
Rajaram (March 18) actually echoes this by pointing out that
"the history of ancient India is now in the midst of a major
debate." However, what had started as a serious discussion
in Open Page in January 2002, has now deteriorated, with D.
Frawley's (a.k.a. Vamadeva Shastri) last contribution of
March 4, to email-like loudness and abuse, without any
answer to the criticism offered, due to lack of arguments.
Again, he quotes selectively — the oldest trick in the book
 and twists words, like the run of the mill American tort
lawyer. Ad hominem attacks always are an admission of
weakness, which I trust readers have noticed. Such
diatribes, insinuations, and prevarications are not really
worth a detailed rebuttal and I have deliberated on this
during a long trip across the Pacific. Yet, an answer seems
necessary, after all, in view of the actual defamation
contained in Frawley's outpourings, before we can move on to
the intellectual topic in question: the presently propagated
"innovative, paradigm shifting" view of Indian history
(Frawley, Rajaram, et al.)

Frawley's piece betrays a large degree of personalisation.
As a historian of ideas, I write about content, not about
persons. I am not interested in the ephemeral Vamadevas,
Rajarams, or Talageris of the present decade. They only get
dragged in when they propose particularly outrageous
unscientific ideas that damage scholarly research  and
thus, incidentally, the international standing of India.
This stance has earned me some hatred, daily seen in my
email, often with attached destructive viruses, but so be
it.

Insinuation

In Frawley et al.'s "battle" apparently all means are right.
They are extremely happy to have found one simple
translation "mistake" in 30 years of publications (which
rather concerns a point of interpretation, where scholars
have differed, see EJVS 7-3 and 7-4
(http://users.primushost.com/{cedil}india/ejvs/issues.html).
Frawley's characterisations are often due to ignorance of my
work: "Witzel's background is purely as a linguist." Just a
brief look at my web site
(http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/{cedil}witzel/mwpage.htm)
could have taught him otherwise. The same holds for: (He
has) "(n)ever written about Indian culture or Bharatiya
samskriti in a positive light." All too often, Frawley has
received his wisdom in pre-distilled email messages of his
friends that lead to his misconceptions. He insinuates that
I have (only) "recently done some articles on the Vedic
religion" (actually, since 1972), "to show what it really
was and to counter the many distortions about it that exist
today (probably made by Hindus!)." Insinuation, again:
scholars are concerned, on and off, with distortions that
are found in books and even on the web, from wherever they
may come. In sum: his is an omnium gatherum of selective
quotes with very polemic aims, a procedure also favoured by
his friend Rajaram (below).

Frawley now even tries denunciation with the Government,
complaining about the "numerous contemptuous remarks that
Witzel makes against Indians, Hindus, India and the Indian
government." Like his self-centred friends, he confuses
criticism of the Golden Age fantasies of certain writers
like him with that of all Hindus, all Indians, or the Indian
Government.

Frawley claims to be at the very centre of Indian/Hindu
tradition, to be a Vedic Pandit and Astrologer. As such, he
already knows what the Veda says. By contrast we, the
philologists, are engaged in a constant endeavour to come
ever closer to the original (not just the medieval) meaning
of the texts. However, for all of his Vaidika training, he
still has not understood where he comes from: out of
America, that is from a culture where mothers have to keep
telling their children "I love you" and where some of these
may complain "my mother never told me that she loved me."
Imagine this in Asia or Europe, where nobody would think it
necessary to say so, as it is tacitly understood, expected,
and experienced daily. Action, not empty, perfunctory
assertion, counts. However, Americans, be they Tom, Dick or
George II, need constant reassurance: "Your dress, your
book, your country is great! And, we are on your side!" No
wonder then that Frawley constantly insists on verbally
expressing his "love for India" and that he misses such
empty assertions in my writing. In my own local German
culture such flattery is commonly regarded as the (polite)
lie that it is, and it is viewed with deserved suspicion or
even derision. Americanisation, also in this respect, is not
a universal panacea, even if it comes from a "Vedic Pandit."
With Krishna, it is action that counts. Must I always add,
in Frawley's fluent American, "I have loved and savoured
Indian music, painting, philosophy, literature, etc., since
High School?" And why should I have devoted all of my adult
life to the study of ancient India  out of hate, since age
16 or so? Incidentally, with very little prospect to become
"rich and famous," as they repeat here daily. And, why
should I have worked in South Asia for nearly six years at a
stretch, with my young family, in the still very medieval
Kathmandu of the Seventies?

At universities unlike at Frawley's ashram we want to
understand, not just retell or praise, the matter we study.
We want to know how Indian culture "works." One may have a
great love for music but, at the same time, no real
understanding of Raga and Tala not to speak of the various
Shruti systems. Frawley may "love" India all the way he
wants, but if he really wants to understand, he must at
least begin to study the required sciences, be they
anthropology, linguistics, philology, biology or geography.
Of course, he does not see the need as he already knows the
"secrets" of the Veda: "the world of Vedic scholarship does
not require them (foreign Indologists) to explain the
secrets of the Vedas, which clearly they don't even suspect,
much less know." This is the optimistic but unproved
insider's view. Buoyed by such confidence, he prefers just
to chant OM.

His home-bred limitations are also seen in his
characterisation of certain ethnicities as "primitives"
(Open Page, March 14, Munda "aboriginals" Aug. 20), alleging
that I regard "both (Aryan and Dravidian) peoples as equally
primitive and as not having even developed agriculture much
less any civilisation of their own," or when he speaks of
"uncivilised, primitive nomadic tribes." Witness his
repeated equation of material civilisation, even
agriculture, with culture: the usual American conflation of
material with spiritual (religious, poetic, etc.) culture,
"civilisation." Finally, Frawley is another example of
certain American "Gurus" who combine "spirituality" with
business (and, quite a few of them, notoriously, also with
sex), and who are followed by men in business suits who
manage their wealth, derived from gullible people. Frawley
has mixed his own brand of "Vedic spirituality" with
payments required for his astrology consultations.

In their new nationalistic view of history, Frawley,
Rajaram, et al. (O.P. March 4, 18) cannot stomach that
something in Indian culture could have come from the
outside, especially not the "Aryans." In Frawley's words, I
believe that "people and culture must come to India from the
outside ... regardless of how many peoples and cultures
India is able to produce." How do you "produce" a people?

Instead, serious researchers have told us that we all
descend from the so-called African Eve and that early Homo
sapiens has entered the subcontinent at 75,000 BCE, or by
30,000 BCE at the latest, after crossing the Red Sea and
South Arabia (mtDNA M, and Y chromosome IV and V), and that
these people proceeded to S.E. and E. Asia along the now
submerged coastlines. Later on, many waves of immigrants
have entered the subcontinent (Y Chrom. III, IX from the
Near East, Central Asia, etc.) but they have hardly
proceeded further (cul-de-sac, which has angered Frawley,
O.P. Aug. 20). He better face the newly emerging genetic
facts. Actually, all the subcontinents of Asia, the
European, S.W., South, S.E. and East Asian ones, have
constantly been entered and criss-crossed by new waves of
peoples.

This early influx was followed in recorded history, from 519
BCE onwards, by one wave of immigrants or invaders after the
other. The speakers of the Old Indo-Aryan language (Vedic),
too, must have come from somewhere in Central Asia/Iran as
their language reflects cool climate plants and animals. The
same Central Asian loan words for village life and religious
items as in Rgvedic are also found with the
Mitanni-Indo-Aryans in N. Iraq and N. Syria (1450-1350 BCE),
whose language and religion is very close to, but slightly
older than Rgvedic. Frawley et al. also overlook or deny the
well-known reminiscences of Afghanistan and Central Asia in
the Rgveda (all summarised in EJVS 7-3). All of this simply
cannot be allowed by indigenists as it affects their
fantasised "Vedic Harappan" period, their "Sindhu-Sarasvati
civilisation."

Frawley complains that I let the Rgvedic poet Vasishtha lead
King (chieftain) Bharata out of Eastern Iran into India
which I have not written. His own American background leads
him to allege that I am "influenced by the story of how
biblical Moses led the Jews out of Egypt into Israel, ...
while the Bible remembers such an exodus, no such Vedic or
Puranic records exist." He forgets about Central Asian
reminiscences, worse, and that the biblical account is now
regarded by archaeologists as pure myth.

Similar scenarios hold for the Dravidian languages
especially if indeed related to the Nostratic ones
(Afroasiatic, Georgian, Uralic, Indo-European, Altaic)  and
as most of their agricultural vocabulary seems closely
related to Sumerian (Blazek & Boisson, Archiv Orientalni 60,
1992, 16-37). To no avail, says Frawley: "(Witzel) regards
both peoples (Aryans and Dravidians) as equally primitive
and as not having even developed agriculture much less any
civilisation of their own." No tribe on this planet is
"primitive"  a 19th century, colonialist's term strangely
surviving in this spiritualist's vocabulary: e.g., the Stone
Age Australians have a complicated social system, mythology
(dream time) and oral literature, just as the Old
Indo-Aryans or Dravidians. Therefore, I "equate the
sophisticated and advanced Vedic literature with the
compositions of uncivilised, primitive nomadic tribes"  such
as those of the early Rgveda with that of the earliest
Indo-European or other tribes. Frawley has indeed repeatedly
offended Austro-Asiatic peoples such as the Munda or Khasi
(O.P. Aug. 20), disqualifying them (O.P., Feb. 11).

MICHAEL WITZEL

(www.fas.harvard.edu/{cedil}witzel/mwpage.htm)