--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seekliberation" <seekliberation@...>
wrote:

> Abolishing public schools???  not a good idea.  I know they seem like a
> failure, but that is only in the eyes of our own nation.  Try going to other
> countries and see what it's like living somewhere where there is no well
> established education.

Wayback: Or try going to countries that have even more support for public
education - where you can go to college for Free if you qualify.  College now
costs over $50,000 per year at private schools in the US.  Can't continue that
way.   I agree with Richard in that something has to change (altho I totally
disagree with most of his ideas), and for me it would be at the college and
grad school levels.  I am going to read a book called The Faculty Lounge - saw
the author interviewed the other night and she is an expert on education and a
former Wall St Journal reporter.  She seems level headed and not extreme and
had some good ideas regarding higher education (like doing away with tenure -
it protects the jobs of about 400 conservative profs and costs tons and tons of
money for us all).

PS going to a top private elementary or high school in NYC costs about $40,000
per year!  While many get aide, this is incredible, and makes the amount spent
per pupil at public schools look like peanuts.

 seeklib:Or better yet, try hanging out with a high school drop-out.  I'm not
saying they're stupid, but they are much more likely to live problematic lives
without some education.