--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn <emilymae.reyn@...> wrote:

> <snip>
> "Frankly, you and the other fans of Ravi are all feeding into his drama - and
> I don't see that as a kindness to him."
>
> Susan, I've read the other responses but this early one grabs me.  Do you
> see all the inherent assumptions in this statement?  First of all, I do see
> it as a "kindness" to tease him....e.g., acknowledging I thought the one pic
> he posted was "hot."  Secondly, "feeding into his drama" is again making the
> indirect assumption that Ravi is mentally ill and needs to be "managed"
> differently from everyone else on this forum - that is awfully presumptuous.
>  His drama is his, and even he is pretty clear on that.  He makes fun of
> himself...e.g., referring to himself as a Bhogi.  He does take feedback
> under consideration, IMO, and he always states his intention to provoke.  If
> I don't feel like being provoked, I ignore it.  I don't find him any more
> outside the scope of "normal" than anyone else here, including myself.  He
> does challenge me and I appreciate that.  He hasn't called me an "attention
> slut" yet, as I believe Barry might have indirectly, but
>  then again, because Barry was soooo indirect, I'm still not sure, nor do I
> really care, but that is a loaded slur for sure, if I choose to take it that
> way.
>
> I think that the presumption that all of us who have interacted with, or
> appreciated what Ravi and also Robin have to say are so stupid that we "take
> sides" and are just "sheep" is coming from a place of pure judgment and is
> supremely disrespectful to the individual and their right to state their POV.
>  From what I've noticed overall, FFL's mission statement accommodates all
> perspectives and that's one of the beautiful things about it.  Are we now
> going to "redo" the whole discussion on standards and manuals?  That was
> last month and I was of the understanding, the majority voted against it.
>
> It is never clear to me who is exactly talking about who with non-descript
> kinds of statements...who is "glorifying" and "encouraging" and "egging on"?
> Which of the "recent and prolific posters" are exhibiting the "untethered"
> behavior - and what constitutes that?  Is it Jim, who just did a week off -
> he's pretty prolific.  Is it me, with my 48 posts last week - I've been
> pretty untethered.  Is it Ravi, who returned recently after a
> couple-of-weeks hiatus?  Is it Robin, who never posts close to the limit but
> also doesn't "chat"? Is it Judy, who posts 50 every week?  Is it Yifu, who
> also posts close to 50?  From an outsider perspective, one might say he is
> the most "untethered" of all - talk about provocative (first person ontology
> thing).  His artwork can really bother me sometimes - I now ask myself what
> about whatever picture is bothering me so much.  It's usually a personal
> belief that might need to be changed :)
>

> Ravi has a certain writing style, so does Robin, so do you, so do I, so does
> [...]
Denise,
I read your post.    Briefly, I think Ravi is brilliant.  I do know I don't
appreciate his style of writing here.  Others do.  Fine.  And in response to
your words, I have only huge sympathy for anyone experiencing any sort of brain
disorder - from depression to bipolar or anything else.  I have family members
who have struggled with depression and even temporary psychosis due to thyroid
storms.  I get it.  If FFL helps anyone with that, it serves a worthwhile
purpose. Well, there is nothing more for me to say.  I expressed myself.  Glad
you are finding FFL helpful. I am not interested in this topic any longer.