I don't necessarily disagree with any of your remarks;

However, when I listened to Maharishi's explanation for the new
buildings, I believe he called them "Wealth Producing", not
enlightenment producing;
Perhaps, this indicates a basic change in desire, from
enlightenment, to wealth and money.
Much like the rest of our culture right now:
Money is the God of our culture;
Perhaps Maharishi started to recognize this, years ago, when this
lust for money became the norm, during the Reagan Administration..