On Apr 20, 2012, at 6:01 PM, Xenophaneros Anartaxius wrote:

> OK let me revise that statement: in my *opinion* you characterise TM as being
> practically worthless, at least you give this impression just about every
> time you write about it.

I just see it as a practice with no real pedigree, it’s not a path to
liberation. But if it helps you chill or whatever - fine. Enjoy, but don’t get
addicted.

> Negative effects occur with many kinds of meditation, after all, if a
> meditation is working, a lot of crap one takes to be reality is being
> destroyed day by day, and it can be very uncomfortable. One needs to
> understand what is going on. People can have all sorts of incredible and even
> terrifying experiences as a result of meditation, and it is not confined to
> TM.

Certainly. That’s why intact lineages of experience are so important and
fabricated lineages are always potentially dangerous. As in a previous example:
levitation requires a prana to be raised into the skull - but this same prana,
if done incorrectly, could cause insanity. Who do you want guiding you, a
current lineal exemplar with an understanding of all the pitfalls and their
solutions from across time or someone making it up as they go along?

I've always preferred the former.