 From: Mike Dixon <mdixon.6...@yahoo.com>
To: "FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: The Obamacare disaster (take the penality,
it's cheaper).

L, the reason I believe so many people are *fat*, poor included, is mainly
ignorance. Ignorance of the caloric value of what they eat, as well as the
nutritional value. <Before I had gastric bypass surgery, I never realized how
much I ate nor paid any attention to nutritional values. I thought I was pretty
much in line with what other people ate... and I was! I just ate a little more
and I also had an extreme aversion to exercise. Before my surgery, I had to
take a class in which I was encouraged to read food labels, keep a food diary
and in essence learn what was an appropriate portion size. < People also over
eat due to emotional problems or out of boredom. When my dad died, I was nine
years old and can remember at the wake, I was so upset that everybody kept
telling me to have something to eat and that I would feel better. Isn't it
recommended in Ayurveda not to eat when you're upset?Eventually, somebody
thrust a plate of food in my hands and I took a
 bite. The taste, the chewing and swallowing, took my mind off of the pain and
thus began my weight problem. By the time I was ten, I started getting the fat
comments which only caused more pain and more eating. < I don't believe eating
high quality food is out of the economic  range of most poor people, it's just
not convenient. You have to go to the store , buy it, take it home, prepare it,
cook it and clean up after. Instead, running down to the pizzeria or going for
burgers and fries or fried chicken, chinese buffet, is fast, cheap (not
cheaper), instantly gratifying, no work and has a lot more flavor than...
broccoli and broiled chicken.< Let's face it, dieting is a bitch and eating is
enjoyable! Nobody likes to be on a restrictive diet to lose weight and my
personal experience tells me  that once you have a weight problem, you have it
for life.< Bypass was my ticket out of hell. I can eat anything I want but it's
very hard to over- eat if your
 stuffed after eating child's portions. There was also the effect of behavior
modification after the surgery. Heavy, greasy, high fat foods  and very sweet
foods were very hard to digest at first and made me nauseous, which  then
caused me to develop an aversion for them. I know it's an expensive procedure
and it's not for everybody and I have seen it fail in other people. Most
insurance companies consider it *cosmetic* surgery. It's not, it can save your
life by greatly reducing co-morbidities. The kicker is, you really do need
cosmetic surgery AFTER you've lost the weight! That lose flabby skin doesn't
shrink all the way back. By the way, I've noticed that Medicaid is paying for
both surgeries, bypass and skin removal, in some cases. Ignorance can be very
expensive.