All valid points. The boyfriend was actually a follower of Yogananda, so the
girlfriend might have been playing a oneupmanship game with him.

Of course, as you say, maybe she just wanted to see something happen.

My own belief is that if she saw anything at all, it was MMY hopping around.
SOme of the more spectacular hops you can find on youtube (filmed apparently by
the local TV stations) are pretty impressive, and I can see how someone primed
to want to believe in levitation would claim that they had seen someone float.

I had a similar thing happen the first time I went to the Domes to do Yogic
FLying. Someone in the very front of the room appeared to be saying up in the
air for many minutes. All of us newly made sidhas didn't get up and leave when
we were supposed to but instead sat quietly watching this amazing guy at the
front of the room float around for 20 minutes. I expressed mild skepticism but
couldn't come up with an alternate explanation.

Years later, I went back to Fairfield and wandered by the front of the room.
The raised area where the  speakers sit during meetings was also covered with
mattresses, so anyone who had bothered to climb up their to have some extra
room to hop around and hop would have appeared to be staying about 18 inches
off the ground for their entire yogic flying period.

Oops.

Had any of us bothered to stand up and leave when we were supposed to, we
probably would have noticed this factoid, but none of us did.

In fact, for my first 2 year of Yogic Flying, I was absolutely convinced that I
had seen someone float for about 20 minutes non-stop.

No-one is immune to "confirmation bias," which is the whole point behind much
of scientific methodology: to try to make sure that the researcher's own
expectations don't influence the evaluation of the data.