--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:

> That's an obvious alternate explanation, and it might well be true, but I
> wouldn't expect a devout Hindu like MMY (or are you seriously hinting that
> MMY wasn't a True Believer) would consider that his religious beliefs were
> not valid?
>
> Assuming that MMY really WAS a devout Hindu who believed his religious
> tradition, I would expect him to gather round him people who agreed with his
> interpretation of his religion, even (especially) if they had managed to
> convince themselves that it wasn't a religion, but scientifically (in
> principle) verifiable truth.
>
> IOW, I still don't see why you are bring these issues up. To me, it is
> obvious that MMY was a Believer™ and gathered around him fellow
> Believers™ and they would have little incentive to be extremely skeptical
> of such an important (to them) aspect of MMY's teachings.
>
> Of course, I am assuming that MMY himself really could NOT float and that
> everyone, including MMY, was going on rumor and tradition.
>
> OTOH, in 1975, I ran into a kid whose girlfriend was on a TTC and was
> summoned to MMY's room and arrived a few minutes early to find MMY "floating
> in the air."
>
> I was extremely skeptical of this story because I assumed that if MMY were so
> enlightened that he could float, he would be able to tell that she was about
> to enter the room and therefore wouldn't have accidentally allowed her to see
> something she wasn't supposed to.
>
> In retrospect, after practicing Yogic Flying for 29 years, I see more than
> just a single interpretation of the story:
>
> 1) he really WAS floating and wanted her to see him float;
> 2) he really WAS floating, but the fact that he could float didn't guarantee
> that he would be able to predict that she would arrive early;
> 3) he wasn't really floating but merely hopping around like all the TM Sidhas
> do and she saw what she wanted to see;
> 4) it was just a story.

There are always stories doing the rounds about people floating,
my guess is that people need articles of faith that what they're
doing has some sort of end result other than just hopping about.

A story I heard was that Marshy had been asked by TM teachers
if hecould levitate and he said Yes, every day but chose not to demonstrate it
in case he was remembered simply as someone who
could fly rather than the man who brought enlightenment to the
world. Which is a really clever statement actually, confirms one
impossibility and re-iterates the core message. He could have made
a fortune working in PR.