--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "wayback71" <wayback71@...> wrote:

> Barry, when you saw Lenz levite
> 1.  had you heard before that he did this sort of thing?

No. Not the first time I saw him/it.

> 2.  can you recall if you and others present all described
> seeing exactly the same thing, including small variations,
> without cuing each other and leading each other?  In other
> words, did the reports of individuals match exactly without
> talking to each other or anyone about the experience first?

No, they did not. That is one of the things that makes
me believe that if the phenomena like levitation and
invisibility and others were actually happening, they
were happening on a more subtle alternate plane of
existence, literally Carlos Castaneda's "separate
realities." So people could see the same basic event
taking place, but with variations.

One of the things that still makes it all fascinating
to me is that many of these experiences really were
*not* pre-announced or "set up." He'd just be talking
away, teaching about some odd piece of philosophy or
whatever, and then go all invisible, fade out like
the Cheshire Cat, so first you could see through him,
and then there was no him, and then he'd "come back."

All the while there has been no mention of this. He
was talking about something completely different. At
the end of it all, several people ask, "UH...did you
just disappear?" And then he laughs. When polled,
most of the people there saw it happen.

But not all. So it -- whatever it was -- was somewhat
subjective, and no, not everyone saw the same thing.
Same general thing, but with variations. The same,
I would imagine, as if you polled people about more
normal events; not all of them would see/remember
them the same way.

> So - it you had all been asked to write about what you
> saw before saying a word to each other, would those
> descriptions match?

Not necessarily, but they often did. If you can still
find the scanned PDF of it on the Web, see "The Last
Incarnation," a series of stories about the dude
written by his students. Some of the stories are
about the same events, and some agree, some don't.

> 3.  what other out of the ordinary experiences like
> levitation did you witness with him?

Too many to even begin to talk about. If you think that
seeing someone "violate the laws of nature as we know
them" by levitating or going invisible would fuck with
your mind, consider what witnessing things that even
more "couldn't happen" would do to you. Not gonna get
into it here. I said pretty much all I have to say
about the whole thing in Road Trip Mind.

> If this happened now, people would whip out their phones
> and begin photographing him.  Did people try to take
> photos of these events with regular cameras?

I don't know. I know I didn't. I did make audio tapes
of talks while in the desert, but no photographs. It
was usually nighttime, after all, and thus one would
have needed flash.

> What was Rama's explanation for what was going on?

"I just do what I do, and people report their experiences."

There was clearly no "technique" involved in doing what
he did, in the sense that he had to sit a certain way
or meditate first or "work himself up to it." He'd just
lift up off the ground or go all invisible kinda at will.
I think that if he ever described these powers and how
he got them it was in terms of having remembered them
from a previous life, not ever having tried to attain
them in this one.

> Did any of his students develop the same levitation ability?
> What that part of the training he gave?

No. See above. He never taught these things, only demo'd them.

> Did Lenz himself have training in magic/sleight of hand?

No. I saw him try to do a simple card trick once, and he
was terrible at it. *I* was better.  :-)

> I wonder what someone like Ricky Jay would say about
> this - if he could provide an explanation of how you go
> about appearing to levitate in the desert in front of
> hundreds.

I'd love to hear him try, but I won't hold my breath
waiting for it, because he would be looking for an
"explanation" based on the assumption that it didn't
really happen, and was some kind of trick. I find that
difficult to accept. In the desert we're talking about
hiking into places that are just sand, surrounded by
nothing from which to suspend wires or anything. I
once saw Rama levitate off the naugahyde benches of
a Denny's late at night, ferchrssakes. I don't think
he managed to pre-arrange some kind of apparatus in
that Denny's.  :-)

> How far off the ground did he appear to go?  I think I
> recall a friend saying he was in the clouds, or else
> that he moved clouds.

He moved clouds around and made them disappear. As far
as I ever saw, he never got more than a few feet off
the ground.

> To me, the alternate reality theory sounds likely -
> kind of explains a lot we can't explain - ghosts, angels,
> levitation and other "miracles."

Sounds right to me, too. It goes along with many other
experiences I've had of "separate realities." The assump-
tion that there is only one simply does not jibe with
my experience.

The main thing that I took away from all of this, you
should remember, is that I do not for a moment associate
the ability to perform siddhis with being enlightened
or being a "saint" or being "good" or anything like that.
Rama was at times an *excellent* teacher, one of the
best I've ever met. He was also at times a real sonofabitch,
mean, manipulative, and a total dick. He was narcissistic
as hell, and in the end he got himself addicted to Valium
and wound up committing suicide while foolishly trying
to go "cold turkey" from it. It was all very sad in the
end to see all that great potential pissed away.

But it was at the same time a marvelous ride, real E-ticket
stuff. You don't find these experiences very often. Or at
least I don't.