 From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:20 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] What can we tell about a writer from his or her
writing?

Having written in creative contexts, during which I had to invent
characters and then "put myself inside their heads" to make them
believable, I've always wondered about those who feel that they can
"know" a writer from what they write.

For example, I've heard supposedly knowledgeable critics call Stephen
King "sick" for writing some of his horror scenes, while completely
ignoring some of his more spiritual and uplifting work, such as the
noble quests and characters in, say, "The Talisman." Similarly I've seen
people describe William Peter Blatty as "obviously possessed by demons
and under the influence of Satan" for writing what others consider one
of the most Catholic (and thus religious) books ever written, "The
Exorcist."

Having had this experience of creating characters or plotlines and then
immersing myself in them long enough to write about them in a way that
sounds realistic, I'm not convinced of people's claims to be able to
"know" any writer based on what he or she writes. I think that instead
people tend to *project* what they want to see onto a passage of
writing, and attribute to the writer emotions, thoughts, or qualities he
or she might not have had. Thus someone who already wishes to believe
that Maharishi is a Good Guy can read what he writes and see nothing but
Good Guyness there, while someone who is already convinced that he is a
charlatan can read the same passage and see nothing but charlatanry.

I think people do this all the time...bring their preconceptions about a
writer into play and allow them to color what they read, and their
perceptions of what and who the writer is. For example, the other day I
read about a writing workshop in which the students were asked to read
the following quote from Gandhi, and comment on what they "saw" of the
author's psychological state and overall personality in it. Here...you
guys give it a try, too:

"I can give vent to my inmost feelings only in the form of humble thanks
to Providence which called upon me and vouchsafed it to me...to rise to
be the leader of my people, so dear to me. Providence showed me the way
to free our people from the depths of its misery without bloodshed and
to lead it upward once again. Providence granted that I might fulfill my
life's task -- to raise my people out of the depths of defeat and to
liberate it from the bonds of the most outrageous dictate of all
times... I have regarded myself as called upon by Providence to serve my
own people alone and to deliver them from their frightful misery."

The students went on and on about the qualities of the noble spiritual
leader they saw in this passage, and how perfectly it reflected Gandhi's
philosophy of non-violence and dedication to humanity. They compared the
style of this paragraph to other famous quotes of Gandhi's, and used
both sets of words to back up their perceptions of the writer as a noble
and religious man, nigh unto saintly in his dedication to his fellow
man.

At the end of the exercise the professor revealed to the students that
the quote (with a few "spoiler" words removed) is from a 1939 speech
delivered to the Reichstag by Adolf Hitler.