--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <authfriend@...>
wrote:

> Xeno, sorry, but you are SO far from understanding what
> the issues are with Share. Facile observations about
> general vs. specific thinking styles don't begin to cut
> it. Just for starters, there are (at last count) seven
> different people on FFL who have the same criticisms of
> her.

For starters, your starting argument is 'argumentum ad numerum', a
logical fallacy that makes the assumption that because a number of
people believe a certain proposition to be true, it must be true. Now
your proposition may be true, but not because of your argument here.

Thinking styles of those here on FFL may be more a factor than you are
currently surmising. Here is a sample from a current theory. I find it
interesting because, since I started meditation, I think my style has
shifted  from the more analytic style to the more experiential style.
While people do not fall directly into just one column or the other
here, this is instructive in thinking how we process information can
affect our interactions with others. I would tend to put you 'generally'
in the first column, and Share, and myself in the second column. It is
something to think about when experiencing differences of opinion with
others.

CHARACTERISTICS OF EXPERIENTIAL
AND RATIONAL THINKING STYLES IN
COGNITIVE-EXPERIENTIAL SELF-THEORY
(CEST)

(ADAPTED FROM SEYMOUR EPSTEIN 2003)

(This is a two-pronged process model of perception. 'Human irrationality
has consistently been a major area of focus in cognitive research. CEST
argues that by gaining and understanding of our rational and
experiential systems, and how they interact, we can gain insight into
how these primarily adaptive systems, can in some cases lead to
maladaptive behaviour.')

Rational
Thinking
Style

Experiential
Thinking
Style

1

Analytic

Holistic

2

Intentional, effortful

Automatic, effortless

3

Logical: reason oriented (what is rational or sensible)

Emotional/affective: pleasure-pain oriented (what feels good)

4

Logical, cause and effect, connections

Associative connections

5

Behavior mediated by conscious appraisal of events

Behavior mediated by "vibes" from past events

6

Encodes reality in abstract symbols, words, and numbers

Encodes reality in concrete images, metaphors, and narratives

7

Slower processing; oriented toward delayed action

More rapid processing; oriented toward immediate action

8

Changes more rapidly and easily; changes with strength of argument and
new evidence

Slower and more resistant to change: change with repetitive or intense
experience

9

More highly differentiated; dimensional thinking

Less differentiated; broad generalization gradient;   context-specific
processing; categorical and stereotypical   thinking

10

More highly integrated; context-general principles

Less integrated; disociative, organized in part by emotional complexes;
context-specific processing

11

Experienced actively and consciously; we are in control of our
thoughts

Experienced passively and preconsciously; we are seized by our emotions

12

Requires justification via logic and evidence

Self-evidently valid; "experiencing is believing"

13

More process oriented

More outcome oriented